Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
Original poster
I was wondering if anyone knows how Safari 11 stores the website settings for auto-play/reader/page zoom etc...? It does not seem to remember these settings after quitting Safari.

I tried configuring a few sites through the "Settings For This Website" under File, but it seems to only add settings for the camera & microphone as "Configured Websites" in Preferences > Websites . Under auto-play, page zoom, reader & location, it only lists "Currently Open Websites", no previously configured ones listed.

I have seen write-ups showing these features and seen screenshots of configured websites listed under auto-play but for the life of me, I can't get the same result.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Thanks for the reply masterbaron. I did a clean installation of High Sierra, and so far it seems to load all my login items that reside in the menubar, and my sound preferences stay as I set them. Not sure if you did a upgrade over top of Sierra or not. But I'm currently not experiencing the same issues.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
Original poster
I've just noticed that setting auto-play preference is discarded/forgotten even upon closing the tab with some sites. Some it is discarded with simply refreshing the page without even closing the tab. Pretty shoddy implementation so far.

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun
The characteristic is in a variety of functions not all related to System Prefs ... now what could globally affect the "storage" of that information ... it couldn't be APFS could it ... nah couldn't be ... not Apple.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've just noticed that setting auto-play preference is discarded/forgotten even upon closing the tab with some sites. Some it is discarded with simply refreshing the page without even closing the tab. Pretty shoddy implementation so far.

Tested it on my iMac and I have the same issue. Just set a webpage to Never Auto Play. Closed safari and reopened and its back to Stop media with sound.

I also dont have APFS, aside from losing the majority of my face data and admittedly feeling a bit more snappy I can't find too much with this upgrade. Lol

My opinion is it seems that trying to maintain a yearly update cycle for desktop OS maybe asking a little much.

MisterMark

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2017
Netherlands

See my autoplay topic here. Looks like the same issue.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Yes MisterMark, certainly seems like it. Also I agree with cynics, there is not much at all in this update to macOS. I don't even find it any snappier than Sierra was by 10.12.6. Aside from being possibly the most generally stable ".0" release Apple has ever released, it seems half-baked. New features for Safari are broken, APFS is an unfinished/work-in-progress, iMessage iCloud sync never made it in.... They call this a maintenance release, but the maintenance man seems to have been sleeping on the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.