Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bohemien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Germany
As described in the title, Safari (12.1.1) under Mojave does not show my frequently visited sites. I've tried turning the option on and off, doesn't help (the function works just fine on my iPhone, iPad and my older MBP under El Capitan).

Does anybody know what to do? Is there a preference file I need to delete to make this work?

Thanks!

EDIT: For anyone with the same problem-it took nearly two weeks for the first icon to show up under the favorites display, so Safari just waits for a minimum number of visits before it tags a website as "frequently visited" (which totally makes sense). At least now we know! :D

Last edited:

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Quitting Safari and deleting the preferences file might work. I'd make a back-up of it first though.

It's managed by ~/Library/Safari/TopSites.plist.

After launching Safari and visiting some sites again you can checked whether it worked or not by going to Bookmarks > Show Frequently Visited in Favorites in your Menu Bar.

Reactions: Bohemien

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Go to Bookmarks and first enable (check) Frequently Visited in Favorites, then click Favorites and both windows will show up.

Bohemien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Germany
Quitting Safari and deleting the preferences file might work. I'd make a back-up of it first though. It's managed by ~/Library/Safari/TopSites.plist.

Go to Bookmarks and first enable (check) Frequently Visited in Favorites, then click Favorites and both windows will show up.

Thanks for helping me out guys-unfortunately both methods don't have the desired result. To be clear: I'm not talking about the "Top Sites" view (with the large icons showing the current preview of the most visited websites) but the view you get when you choose "Open new window showing favorites" in the preferences and have "show frequently visited sites in favorites" checked under bookmarks (translating from German system here, don't know if I have the wording right).

On my MBP running El Capitan, a new window looks like the attached photo: in the window, you see icons of my favorites on top, and icons of the frequently visited sites below (I blurred the icons). This is not showing on the iMac running Mojave. :(

Attachments

• Safari Frequently.jpg
    Safari Frequently.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 433

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Thanks for helping me out guys-unfortunately both methods don't have the desired result. To be clear: I'm not talking about the "Top Sites" view (with the large icons showing the current preview of the most visited websites) but the view you get when you choose "Open new window showing favorites" in the preferences and have "show frequently visited sites in favorites" checked under bookmarks (translating from German system here, don't know if I have the wording right).

On my MBP running El Capitan, a new window looks like the attached photo: in the window, you see icons of my favorites on top, and icons of the frequently visited sites below (I blurred the icons). This is not showing on the iMac running Mojave. :(

I have a 2009 MBP running El Cap and a 2013 rMBP running the latest Mohave (10.4.5) and Safari 12.1.1. Both machines will give me a window like your picture when I "Open new window showing favorites" in the preferences and have "show frequently visited sites in favorites" checked under bookmarks. Pics below are from the Mojave 2013 rMBP, so I doubt if Mojave is the problem.

Bookmarks_Safari 12.1.1.png Safari Pref w:Mojave.png Safari 12.1.1:Mojave 10.4.5.png

Last edited:

Bohemien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Germany
Both machines will give me a window like your picture when I "Open new window showing favorites" in the preferences and have "show frequently visited sites in favorites" checked under bookmarks. Pics below are from the Mojave 2013 rMBP, so I doubt if Mojave is the problem.

Yes, that's exactly how I have set it up myself-strange. The only thing I can think of is that Safari might wait for a certain period of time before it considers a site "frequently visited" (I've had the iMac just over a week now)?

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Yes, that's exactly how I have set it up myself-strange. The only thing I can think of is that Safari might wait for a certain period of time before it considers a site "frequently visited" (I've had the iMac just over a week now)?

Yes, it might still be in a "learning mode" if it is that new. Interested in knowing if that turns out to be the case. Best of luck.

Bohemien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Germany
Yes, it might still be in a "learning mode" if it is that new. Interested in knowing if that turns out to be the case. Best of luck.

Result-just now, the first icon showed up in "frequently visited sites", so there really seems to be a learning period involved. Thanks again for your help! :)

Reactions: MSastre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.