Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
I wonder if it is just me or, as of late, Safari 16.4 is quite buggy. I have encountered tab freeze up, website can scroll but can't click on anything. Could refresh, but still can't click anything on the content.

I had to close my Safari entirely to make it work. YouTube or any video site ends up freezing the tab at random.

Safari in Monterey was pretty stable. I sense that this is getting worse, and at this time; I'm sticking with Firefox which is more stable but a battery hog. Firefox only issue is reddit's fancy textbox is a disaster to work with.

GaryPDX

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Portland, OR USA
Yes. I am getting partial image rendering on some websites, sometimes portions of pages facilng to load, freezes on radoi buttons, etc. In my view, Safari is the problem. I do not have Ventura yet, due to the continuing silly (but, for me) show stopping bugs on the usually not-this-smelly-in-most-Macos dot 3 releases. (M1 MBP).

Reactions: cadec

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
Yes. I am getting partial image rendering on some websites, sometimes portions of pages facilng to load, freezes on radoi buttons, etc. In my view, Safari is the problem. I do not have Ventura yet, due to the continuing silly (but, for me) show stopping bugs on the usually not-this-smelly-in-most-Macos dot 3 releases. (M1 MBP).

Oh, that happened here too, some website just stopped rendering, no matter how many times I refreshed it.

firetruck

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
Maybe not Safari. Two days straight, my Mac freezes. I can right-click some dock icons, but nothing responds. First time I was Safari with a dozen other apps open. Today I was printing in Word, with a dozen other apps open. I’ve never had this type of issue in macOS.

firetruck

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
Maybe not Safari. Two days straight, my Mac freezes. I can right-click some dock icons, but nothing responds. First time I was Safari with a dozen other apps open. Today I was printing in Word, with a dozen other apps open. I’ve never had this type of issue in macOS.
Upon further research and looking at my crash logs, both crashes are from Adobes creative cloud background processes. Guess who’s getting in-installed.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
Upon further research and looking at my crash logs, both crashes are from Adobes creative cloud background processes. Guess who’s getting in-installed.
I have Adobe Creative Cloud too!

Last edited:

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
On Facebook I go to a notification and half the time I won't be able to scroll down, I have to re-load the page
History will not clear completely. I click on erase all history and there is still history from yesterday and today there.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Security issues aside, I have a Safari issue that has recently gotten significantly worse: it will start to load a page, then jumps back to the previous page loaded. Or I'll be scrolling through a discussion thread or article and it will jump back to a previous position. Very annoying. And it's happening on iOS as well.

I have a dark mode extension on both platforms, could be related to that I suppose, but I am reluctant to turn it off as my eyes aren't comfortable with a lot of white screen. And I think I did try it awhile back and found it didn't help.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Apple doesn't care, Report an issue and they will say to boot in safe mode and not look into the issue.
Tim Cook has taken the reliability out of the Apple OS
Having worked recently at Apple, I respectfully disagree with this.

Apple employees are encouraged to report bugs unrelated to what they are responsible for, and there are a lot of Apple employees. When I did this there was always follow up by the responsible parties (usually what I filed was a duplicate, even when a given build was hours old), and things got fixed. That part works well. They do care.

And you would need to convince me that things are 'less reliable'. This has not been my experience.

Customer support is something else. It's a thankless, burnout job (and yes I started out in technical support, and got out as soon as I could). People who are technical enough for it don't always have people skills and leave, and the people with people skills aren't technical enough and have to resort to boilerplate recommendations to get through the day. I don't think there's a good solution, and no, it's probably not ChatGPT.

That is why forums like this are valuable.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
And you would need to convince me that things are 'less reliable'. This has not been my experience.
:)
Two actively exploited vulnerabilities so far in 2023 https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog (WebKit)
Safari crash always happening when typing this string "what bra"
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ing-when-typing-this-string-what-bra.2387830/
Safari 16.4.1 (17615) Causing Corrupted jpegs on websites
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-causing-corrupted-jpegs-on-websites.2387412/

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Security issues aside, I have a Safari issue that has recently gotten significantly worse: it will start to load a page, then jumps back to the previous page loaded. Or I'll be scrolling through a discussion thread or article and it will jump back to a previous position. Very annoying. And it's happening on iOS as well.

I have a dark mode extension on both platforms, could be related to that I suppose, but I am reluctant to turn it off as my eyes aren't comfortable with a lot of white screen. And I think I did try it awhile back and found it didn't help.
Looks like the issue does involve the Dark Mode extension. After disabling it, I haven't had any 'jumping back to previous location' events. I will reach out to the developer. I am switching to Noir extension to see if it fares better.

Still get with glitches with dark mode extensions disabled. It comes and goes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.