Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardpage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
My MBP M1Max 64gb 8Tb froze in the browser (both Safari and Chrome) after 14 days from new. The screen then goes black, followed by the fan switching on full power and then the MBP reboots itself.

Crash reports saved. One crash report referred to the trackpad as a possible culprit providing an error code. Apple Store ran diagnostics over 2 days. Nada. So with my OK they factory reset and clean installed the OS (Monterey 12.1)

Two weeks later issue arose again. This time in quick succession. On one occasion everything was working closed the lid. Opened it up 10 minutes later and bam it crashed!

One cannot use a laptop if this occurs as you lose all the work you have been doing or you risk it happening in the middle of an online financial transaction or perhaps when transacting a stock purchase or sale.

Apple refunded me. Fortunately over Christmas Apple were running an extended Returns policy from Nov 1st. Last thing I wanted was to cycle through a series of repairs. And what point was there in a replacement when the problem has not been solved until maybe a new OS release. Anyway a replacement of a 64Gb 8Tb was unlikely to be on the cards as it's not an off-the-shelf stock variant.

They said monitor Forums to see when issue is resolved and then buy again once OS has settled down.

I have a couple of the crash reports attached.. Plus here's a video of the last crash..

Attachments

• MBP_panic 1.pdf
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • MBP_panic 2.pdf
    121.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Not an issue I've noticed mentioned in these forums.

Why were you were videoing when it crashed?

ghostcow

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Mine is doing exactly the same. New MBpro w/ 32 gb, 1tb, and 10 core. Very frustrating, happy rarely in past but has just happened about 4 times in last 24 hours of use. Usually I'm just web browsing using the MS edge browser, then freezes, then reboots. Please post if anyone finds a solution.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Mine is doing exactly the same. New MBpro w/ 32 gb, 1tb, and 10 core. Very frustrating, happy rarely in past but has just happened about 4 times in last 24 hours of use. Usually I'm just web browsing using the MS edge browser, then freezes, then reboots. Please post if anyone finds a solution.
Report it to Apple. More reports increases likelihood of them figuring it out.

ghostcow

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Update: did well for a month then started happening again. I took it apple store and showed them the crash reports. The did quick diagnostic wireless check on it, said everything checked out fine and the crash report wasn't of use to them. End result they shipped it off to Texas repair location on Monday and i got it back Friday. It looks like the changed out most of the guts of the computer: chips (cpu, gpu), SSD, logic board. Anyway, we will see if it fixes everything, so far so good and very happy with the turnaround time and shipping via FedEx.

Reactions: Sanpete

ghostcow

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
...and still doing it again, random full re-boots, tracking it now and will have to return to apple store again if it keeps happening. Sigh, not the experaince I was expecting from this "upgrade", other than this issue it is awesome

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
If they changed the logic board and it's happening again, it may be some software you're running or some device you have connected to it. Random restarts aren't common. Try restarting in safe mode to see if it stops for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.