Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoonSpell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2022
UK
iPad iOS 15 user here.

After deleting history and website data, Safari still seems to retain website URLs, even though they aren’t bookmarked or saved as favourites. Furthermore, there isn’t anything automatically stored there either. is there anyway to completely clear website addresses and data from Safari?

just to be honest about this, I’m referring to adult websites here. Why should I have to type the letter x in the URL bar, to then have you know what, as my first suggestion.

p.s I already know about incognito. That’s the future, not the past.

Thanks, in advance.

Reactions: FyerFyer

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Do you have other iCloud enabled devices? Made the same mistake couple o times, and had the same problem, too.
Turning off Safari for iCloud and then deleting the website data might resolve it.

MoonSpell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2022
UK
Thanks for replying Reggaenald.
I actually don’t have any other devices anymore. But have recently transferred over iCloud data from my old iPad, to the Pro. The very fact that you mentioned iCloud led me to go directly to iCloud settings, and turn off Safari. it worked a treat.
Honestly, that has helped me out a lot. I appreciate your suggestion. :)

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
do you have Siri suggestions activated for Safari? Settings->Safari->Siri & Search->Show in App

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It always has been a “feature” even when using Private Mode and deleting all history and cookies — in the event of a crash.
The only way for Safari not to remember your last webpages is to close all tabs, Delete all history (double check cookies are gone in Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website Data/) then force quit Safari.

The next time you launch it, you’ll just be presented with the Favorites Page and your previous webpage visits are forgotten — but only if you’ve got Safari linking to iCloud turned off.

Last edited:

MoonSpell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2022
UK
Slartibart - No, Siri suggestions has been turned off.

now I see it - thanks for your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.