Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ok, posting this in case someone else has got this issue as Google hasn't led me to any other examples of this.

I've got a really irritating problem that's started since updating my M1 Ultra Mac Studio to Sonoma. If I'm playing videos in Safari, e.g. YouTube, the brightness will change when I move my mouse anywhere on the display in question. I have two monitors, one connected via HDMI and one connected via Thunderbolt/Displayport. Both support HDR although I usually have HDR off on my secondary monitor as it's HDR in name only and I only have static communications windows up on it (Teams, email, Discord etc). If I move my mouse on my second monitor, the brightness doesn't change on videos playing on my main monitor. If I play videos on my secondary non HDR monitor, the brightness doesn't change. If I enable HDR on my second monitor, the same brightness changing applies. The content I'm watching is not HDR content (as Safari doesn't support HDR on YouTube). Viewing videos in Chrome works fine and there are no brightness changes. The same behaviour happens when using other websites e.g. the BBC News player and Disney so it is not limited to YouTube. However, Netflix doesn't exhibit this behaviour, so maybe their player doesn't use built in video processing stuff from Safari or something.

It's honestly, incredibly frustrating. Whenever I move my mouse, the video gets darker. When I stop moving my mouse, it gets brighter again so if I'm watching a video in part of my screen while doing other things, the brightness jumps up and down over and over again, which is very distracting.

I have tried turning on and off the "Dim flashing lights" in accessibility that some similar related issues seems to have suggested to no avail. I've restarted the computer several times. It's only been this way since I updated to Sonoma last week.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it, I'd love to hear them!

Reactions: semicoln

Fernbus

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
System Settings > Accessibility > Display > Dim flashing lights ''Enable''.

Last edited:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
System Settings > Accessibility > Display > Dim flashing lights ''Enable''.
View attachment 2294209
This can mask the effect but it introduces its own artefacts - brightness changing in videos etc. It doesn't fix the bug. It stops the brightness changing when you move your mouse but it changes brightness every time there's a bright scene change in a video instead as that's it's purpose.

Reactions: Fernbus

semicoln

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Texas
I had this bug some time ago and now it has returned. It seemed to be fixed in Ventura but has regressed in Sonoma. It is very frustrating indeed.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
OP - this only happens in fullscreen, correct? (you didn't make any mention of this in your OP), so I am guessing.

Had something similar happening to me in Ventura 13.1 (only in fullscreen, which is why I'm asking about it). I updated to 13.5, and then 13.5.1 hoping it would fix the issue but it didn't...

The fix for me was removing my MPX module and keeping just my AMD GPU (I know, you are using an AS mac). I think this bug is not just related to Sonoma, but it sucks to hear that it still occurs in Sonoma. In any case, NOT using an Apple GPU fixed the issue for me, but I don't know of anything I can recommend, since you are in a totally closed system. This is yet another reason why I am most likely never moving to an ARM Mac, but I hope you can get this sorted -- it REALLY irritated me.

Last edited:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
No, not full screen, windowed. Although it likely does happen in full screen too, I just never watch videos fullscreen on my Mac. It seems to happen in anything that uses Apple’s own video playing solution. So Safari, QuickTime, Preview in Finder. Whereas it doesn’t happen in apps that might have their own video solution e.g. Chrome or VLC.

Prior to Sonoma, I’d never experienced it before on any of my macs.

Tac33100

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2023
Hey Friends, new member here...same issue, 2020 Mac mini M1 on a Samsung QN90A and upgraded to Sonoma 14.1.1 recently and now when watching full screen vids and moving mouse my screen dims/darkens... Anybody figured out why this is occuring?

Tac33100

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2023
The posted above....System Settings>Accessibility>Display>Turn on "Dim Flashing Lights" and a restart worked for me, immediately stopped my issue. Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 10.07.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 10.07.52 PM.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 71

semicoln

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Texas
Sonoma 14.3 still has the issue. It seems to only happen on the external display connected to my MBA, not the built in display.

Lukey199

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2024
Ok, posting this in case someone else has got this issue as Google hasn't led me to any other examples of this.

I've got a really irritating problem that's started since updating my M1 Ultra Mac Studio to Sonoma. If I'm playing videos in Safari, e.g. YouTube, the brightness will change when I move my mouse anywhere on the display in question. I have two monitors, one connected via HDMI and one connected via Thunderbolt/Displayport. Both support HDR although I usually have HDR off on my secondary monitor as it's HDR in name only and I only have static communications windows up on it (Teams, email, Discord etc). If I move my mouse on my second monitor, the brightness doesn't change on videos playing on my main monitor. If I play videos on my secondary non HDR monitor, the brightness doesn't change. If I enable HDR on my second monitor, the same brightness changing applies. The content I'm watching is not HDR content (as Safari doesn't support HDR on YouTube). Viewing videos in Chrome works fine and there are no brightness changes. The same behaviour happens when using other websites e.g. the BBC News player and Disney so it is not limited to YouTube. However, Netflix doesn't exhibit this behaviour, so maybe their player doesn't use built in video processing stuff from Safari or something.

It's honestly, incredibly frustrating. Whenever I move my mouse, the video gets darker. When I stop moving my mouse, it gets brighter again so if I'm watching a video in part of my screen while doing other things, the brightness jumps up and down over and over again, which is very distracting.

I have tried turning on and off the "Dim flashing lights" in accessibility that some similar related issues seems to have suggested to no avail. I've restarted the computer several times. It's only been this way since I updated to Sonoma last week.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it, I'd love to hear them!
Same, but only just happened for first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.