Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregorywrites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I always keep my MacBook Pro (2015, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5) up to date, and after installing Mojave 10.14.5 everything was fine. For a while. But recently the Safari browser (Version 12.1.1) has been freezing. It doesn't matter where I'm online (WiFi) – coffee house, tap room, bookstore. Everything works fine for a while, and then when I try to go to another website – perhaps it's just my email, or a major news site, doesn't matter – the Safari is frozen. Rebooting the computer solves the problem, but only for a while. After a bit of website activity Safari freezes again. I re-loaded the Mojave 10.14.5, but that didn't help.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Could be an extension mucking things up: disable them temporarily, if smooth, reenable one by one to see which is the problem child.

Malware/adware? Download MalwareBytes to see if anything bad is there.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Alternative to above good suggestion:
create a new user account and try that account - without installing any extensions. If it works, its your customizations... Back to your own account and clear cache, remove extensions, basically, clean up Safari. Then add customization one by one as instructed above.
The advantage this way is completely plain vanilla Safari to start with.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
I always keep my MacBook Pro (2015, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5) up to date, and after installing Mojave 10.14.5 everything was fine. For a while. But recently the Safari browser (Version 12.1.1) has been freezing. It doesn't matter where I'm online (WiFi) – coffee house, tap room, bookstore. Everything works fine for a while, and then when I try to go to another website – perhaps it's just my email, or a major news site, doesn't matter – the Safari is frozen. Rebooting the computer solves the problem, but only for a while. After a bit of website activity Safari freezes again. I re-loaded the Mojave 10.14.5, but that didn't help.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

try safari technology preview plain vanilla, don't install any extensions.

https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/

gregorywrites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Bellingham, WA
"Could be an extension mucking things up: disable them temporarily, if smooth, reenable one by one to see which is the problem child."

THANKS to everyone for the response and suggestions. I'm not a techie, but here's what I tried:

I chose Preferences from the Safari drop-down menu, and then I clicked the Extensions tab, and then I saw the words No Extensions. (To my knowledge, I have never installed or enabled any extensions for Safari.)

I downloaded the Safari Tech Preview app and operated Safari that way, but after oh, about 30 minutes of web surfing – New York Times, Rolling Stone, NFL, stuff like that – the darn thing froze. Rebooting solves the problem, but only for a while. Strange stuff.

Greg

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
At this point, I'd do what @Honza1 suggested. Even with the technology preview, if using in current account and something corrupted, will probably see same issues.

gregorywrites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Here's the latest in the Safari Freezes saga, as of Thursday June 13. I created a new user account on my MacBook Pro, and used Safari for about 30 minutes ... and then it froze. Rebooting the computer seems to re-set things, but only for a while. Then, when doing email today, the computer flashed up a message: "Internet connection timed out."

Huh. None of the internet / WiFi connections I have been using over the past several years have ever timed me out.

Two ideas: Is there some setting, somewhere in Safari, that allows you to set a time limit for each session? And at this point, I'm thinking of backing everything up, and wiping this computer, and doing a fresh install of Mojave 10.14.5.

Greg

BalutFX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I had also been experiencing freezing on my 2015 iMac; seeming since installing the 10.14.5 update. I have a developer account, so I tried installing the 10.14.6 beta 1. It didn't take long for a freeze to happen again in Safari. Updated to 10.14.6 beta 2 and had another freeze. I then began wondering if it was somehow related to my Bluetooth mouse or keyboard (both 3rd party). I searched and found the procedure for reseting the Bluetooth Hardware Module (https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/reset-mac-bluetooth-module/). I did not unpair my keyboard or mouse beforehand, and both reconnected after the reset. So far, no more freezes, but it has only been two days. May be worth a try.

gregorywrites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for your input, Balut

I'm using a MacBook Pro, so no 3rd party or separate mouse and keyboard. But your post made me realize that all this trouble with Safari freezing has only been happening since I updated to MacOS Mojave 10.14.5.

Anybody having similar problems?

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
What happens if you try another 3rd party browser; like Firefox or Chrome?

Adrian1145

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2019
Thanks for your input, Balut

I'm using a MacBook Pro, so no 3rd party or separate mouse and keyboard. But your post made me realize that all this trouble with Safari freezing has only been happening since I updated to MacOS Mojave 10.14.5.

Anybody having similar problems?

Yes, I have the same problem. Internet cuts out after some time on my MacBook Pro 2013, running Mojave 10.14.5. Router is fine, as is connection to my i-phone and to a Lenovo laptop. Shutting down and re-starting seems to work, and so far any Skype or Zoom sessions (essential for my work) have not been interrupted. But it is very annoying.
How could I go back to an earlier OS that didn't have this problem, as I assume it is Mojave at fault.

captcurrent

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Yes, I have the same problem. Internet cuts out after some time on my MacBook Pro 2013, running Mojave 10.14.5. Router is fine, as is connection to my i-phone and to a Lenovo laptop. Shutting down and re-starting seems to work, and so far any Skype or Zoom sessions (essential for my work) have not been interrupted. But it is very annoying.
How could I go back to an earlier OS that didn't have this problem, as I assume it is Mojave at fault.

I have had the same problem on two machines. One is on mojave the other high sierra. The mojave machine had the same problem with high sierra. If is restart machine it works fir a while. Meanwhile on the same network as the mojave i have a mac mini running high sierra with no problems. so it doesn’t appear to be an ISP or DNS problem. Between the constant updates that do nothing but render software obsolete and issue like this , i am growing real tired of MacOS

Reactions: madrich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.