Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Try playing this video and going into fullscreen more than once.
Your mac will freeze up. youtube.com/watch?v=jwhFr5Ax3Fk

Tried this with 2 macbooks in the Apple store, looks like a bug with Safari itself.

The issue is fixed in MacOS Sierra, any chance Apple will fix this before that?

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Doesn't look like a Safari issue at all. This works fine on my iMac 5k. I think this is more hardware and/or driver related. MacBooks can do 4k but they aren't that powerful.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Doesn't look like a Safari issue at all. This works fine on my iMac 5k. I think this is more hardware and/or driver related. MacBooks can do 4k but they aren't that powerful.
Im not playing it in 4K, usually 720P. Did you try pressing fullscreen on the video a few times?

Its defiantly a Safari 9.1.2 issue though. Other browsers have no issues with it and Safari 10 is fine.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It defaulted to 4k here and I did press fullscreen multiple times (using 4k means that the load is also much higher). This machine is running 10.11.6 with Safari 9.1.2. There have been numerous reports of the MacBook not playing 4k content all that well. Combine it with a driver issue and you can easily run into issues with playing such content in certain software. Safari 10 may be doing things slightly different and so you don't run into the issue.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013

Tried this with 2 macbooks in the Apple store, looks like a bug with Safari itself.

Yup it's happening to many people, including me. For people using El Capitan, they can download the Safari Technology Preview for El Cap and it will play these youtube videos fine. Here's another discussion thread about the problem: https://discussions.apple.com/message/30522148

And Safari Technology Preview: https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

Same issue here, it seems that their is a compatibility issue with Youtube that Apple has to fix. but can they giving the relations with Google?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.