Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I don't know if the new Safari by itself is glitchy or if it doesn't work well with ublock origin, but either way, it's just not the same anymore. There are just too many minor issues at this point. By the way, the content blocker API change was a tick move since you can't find anything as good as ublock origin on the app store. I'd love to switch to Chrome or something, but the issue is all my passwords are in the keychain which doesn't seem to work with Chrome or other browsers. I used to like Safari, but it really doesn't look good at this point :(

What is your experience like? Are you happy with the current version or would like Apple to change something about Safari?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Safari works better than ever for me (except for DRM content like Netflix, I use FF for that now).

I use the Wipr ad-blocker and it works better than ublock ever worked for me. I have no complaints in that regard. It's fast, stable, and it has no glitches on my machine. I use Chrome/Chromium with Linux sometimes, but I use Firefox more.

Try Safari by itself and see if it's still feeling "glitchy" to you. If that makes it smooth, give Wipr a test drive...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
everything is working well here, and netflix/amazon/hulu play without issue (i also use wipr). safari seems better-than-ever, and the issue is probably ublock; decide what's important to you, and go with that (much better than just complaining)...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
and netflix/amazon/hulu play without issue

I believe that's because your machines have quick-sync abilities, and XEON powered machines (like mine) don't.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that was the reason I found, when I searched for a solution way-back. Mine stopped working when Safari stopped supporting the Siverligtht extension.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I believe that's because your machines have quick-sync abilities, and XEON powered machines (like mine) don't.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that was the reason I found, when I searched for a solution way-back. Mine stopped working when Safari stopped supporting the Siverligtht extension.

ah, could be. but netflix works in firefox? i always use safari, but, if i ever (rarely) need to play flash media, i use chrome (everyone should uninstall flash by now)....

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I like Fire Fox - works for me - love the seach box in the header (don't know why safari dropped that feature) - slowly moving all my safari bookmarks to Firefox sync - in case I don't buy a macbook next time round - not a fan of soldered memory and storage.

Yes safari is better integration wise - but that is because apple does not allow Firefox to integrate better and turn out a better version for apple products :(.

Reactions: MBAir2010

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I like Fire Fox - works for me - love the seach box in the header (don't know why safari dropped that feature) - slowly moving all my safari bookmarks to Firefox sync - in case I don't buy a macbook next time round - not a fan of soldered memory and storage.

Yes safari is better integration wise - but that is because apple does not allow Firefox to integrate better and turn out a better version for apple products :(.

you do know that the address window in safari IS a search window? (just checking). pretty simple. and what specifically is apple doing to not allow firefox to do what IT needs to do? (just curious).

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
safari has some good moments, the launch or spin off feature was a minor pleasure, then the new upgrade and constant blocking of flickr because some certificate protocol setting will not allow the site to launch really is inconvenient! the app on the ipad is worse!
opera is great but firefox works better on an ipad.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I don't know if the new Safari by itself is glitchy or if it doesn't work well with ublock origin, but either way, it's just not the same anymore. There are just too many minor issues at this point. By the way, the content blocker API change was a tick move since you can't find anything as good as ublock origin on the app store. I'd love to switch to Chrome or something, but the issue is all my passwords are in the keychain which doesn't seem to work with Chrome or other browsers. I used to like Safari, but it really doesn't look good at this point :(

What is your experience like? Are you happy with the current version or would like Apple to change something about Safari?
I use routinely (like: opened always at the same time) Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. I have yet to find any major difference among them in performance and capabilities. I need Firefox for work as that is what is required. Works fine there, no surprise. I use Chrome for Google services as, guess what, works fine as expected. And I use Safari for everything else and it works perfectly fine.
If you are running on batteries, Safari is least battery hungry on same pages (with same content blocker) in my experience.

Have no idea what the "glitches" or minor issues are here. But keep in mind, that Google is writing its own new rules for www and so others are playing catchup sometimes. Therefore Chrome for anything Google is good idea.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I feel that Safari is improving all the time. The latest per-website settings coupled with the Safari extension Wipr works better than Ublock ever did - for me. Cloud syncing of bookmarks is fast and reliable and the bookmark system overall I find much better than then other browsers, especially on iOS where, IMHO, they're a hot mess.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Everything works well in Safari for me as well. I've not seen the need to use anything else.

Pennypacker83

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2010
I'm unable to watch Netflix on Safari and Chrome. The screen starts to flicker in full screen mode. This has been going on for probably two years already and still no fix. Firefox works flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.