Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalexus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I just updated Safari to 11.1. Now my Mac Pro has demonstrated kernel panic shutdowns. Any thoughts on repair?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
How much troubleshooting have you done to narrow it specifically to Safari? Safari can be pretty memory intensive. Right now it's the most memory intensive app I've got running on my iMac. What I'm suggesting is you may have an issue with one of your memory banks.

For further testing you might trying rebooting into the Diagnostic partition, "Shut down the Mac, then boot the Mac and at the moment the screen turns from black to grey, hold down the “D” key". From there you can run a memory chip test.

Another option if that comes back fine is, after a reboot, do not start Safari. Use Chrome or some other browser for a period of time that you feel comfortable that its only Safari causing the panics.

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
I would say if the issue started after a software update it is pretty clearly software related issue. If you really wanted to test the memory, make a bootable MemTest usb drive. Otherwise I would say create another test admin user on your computer, if the same issue happens with safari there, then you will likely want to do a backup and erase and reinstall of operating system as the issue is system wide.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It’s very hard to have undetected failure on ECC RAM, and since the issue only pops up after software update. It’s almost impossible memory failure related.

Anyway, Safari is the only software has been updated?

Did you try the Safari Technology Preview?

Do you have the copy of the KP report?

fced

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
I have the same problem on a MacBook Pro with High Sierra 10.13.6 - Safari Version 12.1.1 (13607.2.6.1.2).
This problem is new, 6 month ago, may be more I didn't had this problem with Safari, my MacBook Pro had always been very stable. Only Safari cause me kernel panic, or hard restart without error message or kernel panic error...
Seem weird

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.