Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
This started around the 3rd developer beta and i've submitted Feedback 3 times but it hasn't been fixed. Safari is REALLY difficult to use right now. You're scrolling down a site and see a link you want to click on. Well, Safari registers your click on some other element on the page completely. Or you click a link, look at a new page, and decide you want to go back to the parent page, using a the back button. Only instead of taking you back to where you just were, you're now scrolled to a much different part of that page. The page might be blank. You have to scroll backwards (updards) until you find the last spot you were before. The amount of scrolling you might need to seems random - it might be a few lines or it might be halfway up from the top of the page. And again, clicking on stuff will very often register as clicks on something else. The fix to clicks not registering where the should is to very carefully scroll the thing you want to click on up and down a little immediately before clicking. But once you do that, you will just have to keep on doing that as you keep using Safari and come across more stuff you might want to click on.

This can and does happen on any site, but it makes Twitter almost unusable because there is so much clicking on posts to read replies, type your own click the retweet and like icons, etc, and the back arrow which is supposed to return you to the exact spot you were before, except you're not. Imagine this constantly as you use something like Twitter.

Oddly enough, I tried Safari's new Add to Dock feature to create essentially separate Safari instances for specific sites, and this scrolling and navigation issue mostly (but not entirely) went away. I tried to use it this way for a few days but it was just too different from my usual routine to keep doing it.

If anyone has heard of a solution to this I'm all ears, because it seems like Apple is taking its own sweet time fixing it.

-Pete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.