Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
For a whole bunch of reasons, I recently reinstalled macOS Sierra on my MacBook Pro, and set it up as a new Mac - for all intents and purposes. I have my iCloud fully logged in and all services have been restored, apart from Bookmarks. For whatever reason, Safari is refusing to retrieve any bookmarks from iCloud. I've never seen the issue happen before. I can see all of my history for all devices, Handoff and iCloud tabs are working. But for whatever reason, there has been no transfer of bookmarks whatsoever. Just as a general check list, all iCloud services are fully enabled across all devices. Safari is definitely set to sync with iCloud on the Mac. I'll also add that if I add a new bookmark on iOS, it never appears on macOS and vice versa so bookmarks simply aren't syncing at all. I'm not sure if it's related, but I've had Safari set to sync bookmarks with Chrome on my PC for a while, but I disabled that to see if it fixed the problem with no change.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to work out what's wrong with it!

Any ideas?

Last edited:

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2008
For a whole bunch of reasons, I recently reinstalled macOS Sierra on my MacBook Pro, and set it up as a new Mac - for all intents and purposes. I have my iCloud fully logged in and all services have been restored, apart from Bookmarks. For whatever reason, Safari is refusing to retrieve any bookmarks from iCloud. I've never seen the issue happen before. I can see all of my history for all devices, Handoff and iCloud tabs are working. But for whatever reason, there has been no transfer of bookmarks whatsoever. Just as a general check list, all iCloud services are fully enabled across all devices. Safari is definitely set to sync with iCloud on the Mac. I'll also add that if I add a new bookmark on iOS, it never appears on macOS and vice versa so bookmarks simply aren't syncing at all. I'm not sure if it's related, but I've had Safari set to sync bookmarks with Chrome on my PC for a while, but I disabled that to see if it fixed the problem with no change.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to work out what's wrong with it!

Any ideas?
[doublepost=1505152324][/doublepost]I'm right here with you. Since iCloud I've not ever had a problem with safari syncing but now I do. My MacBook pro 2015 and my iPhone 7 plus quit syncing about a month or so ago and I have tried everything I could find to try via the web. Logging out, back in, turning Safari iCloud off/on, etc etc

No joy.

Frankly I'm surprised no one has replied to your post. I find it hard to believe that you and I are the only ones experiencing this.

Reactions: 576316

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Hello there fellow sync sufferer!

Over the last few weeks I have had a lot of problems with safari history syncing across iPhone, iPad, and MacBook.

Have you had any luck with your issue? I can delete a favorite and I see it removed on the other, vice versa...but no luck with history. :(

krazzix

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Netherlands
Same problem here still... I completely re-installed iPhone as new. Still not syncing bookmarks and reading list. It does sync history though...

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Same problem here still... I completely re-installed iPhone as new. Still not syncing bookmarks and reading list. It does sync history though...
I’ve got things going ok now, but it took clearing history, signing out of iCloud on all devices, restarting all devices, and signing back into iCloud one at a time. It took a long time, but photos sync, Universal Clipboard and handoff (Bluetooth enabled on all devices), safari bookmark, history, open tab, etc.

It sucked, but all systems are a go!

krazzix

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Netherlands
I’ve got things going ok now, but it took clearing history, signing out of iCloud on all devices, restarting all devices, and signing back into iCloud one at a time. It took a long time, but photos sync, Universal Clipboard and handoff (Bluetooth enabled on all devices), safari bookmark, history, open tab, etc.
It sucked, but all systems are a go!

I didn't try clearing history, and rebooting all devices. Tried it. Problem still persists. :(

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've now got this problem too. I've added a new bookmark on my Mac but it will not show up on my phone or tablet. My Mac, phone and tablet all have the Safari option switched on in iCloud settings.

Siebastjan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Going through the exact same issue however only with the history. My bookmarks and reading-lists sync seamlessly throughout all my devices. However, the Safari history just does not want to sync. I have tried everything from forcing the iCloud sync through enabling the debug menu, signing in and out of my iCloud account across all my devices and even re-installing iOS and OSX across all my devices, still with no luck! I hope someone will have a solution soon.

-BigMac-

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Going through the exact same issue however only with the history. My bookmarks and reading-lists sync seamlessly throughout all my devices. However, the Safari history just does not want to sync. I have tried everything from forcing the iCloud sync through enabling the debug menu, signing in and out of my iCloud account across all my devices and even re-installing iOS and OSX across all my devices, still with no luck! I hope someone will have a solution soon.
Did you end up finding a solution? Xs Max

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I’m sorry to hear that.
Might have something to do with some issues that seems to be unresolved from Apple regarding iCloud sync.
I am just mentioning it. I have no idea how far or deep it goes today.

I was in touch with seniors and the engineers a long time, before I stopped b/c it didn’t led anywhere. We tried exactly everything without reaching any solution.

My iCloud calendars stopped syncing day one of installing iOS11, still not resolved on iOS12.
Haven’t checked whether it syncs on my Mac today, it did sync between Mac & iCloud earlier. But I see no use of even check that now as my iPad & iPhone don’t sync with iCloud as it should anyway.

I stopped using the iCloud calendars altogether because of that. Thankfully I can use my Synology NAS Calendar for syncing across my devices instead.

My bookmarks and history sync though ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Siebastjan

Siebastjan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Did you end up finding a solution? Xs Max
Not yet unfortunately... However today for the first time in weeks i managed to get the history syncing! However, it remains to be very inconsistent. Sometimes it will sync almost instantaneously, sometimes it takes hours. I shall give it a few more days and see if anything changes.

bartenational

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2018
ohio
I have just realized this is supposed to happen and it never has?! this is one of those problems that is not a deal breaker to apple people. I am using an El Capitan mini and a Sierra Macbook Pro, for some reason they cannot airdrop files either ... I just assume it is something to do with a change in the OS. What OS are you using Siebastjan and everyone?

Siebastjan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hi everyone! So just a little update, my bookmarks started syncing again normally back in late September. I think the issue lasted me a total of a month or so. I have no idea what was the cause and i do not recall doing anything different. It seems like the issue went away just as fast as it started. For anyone that is experiencing this issue I highly urge you to contact apple support and report it. They may have much more information on the issue now compared to back when i reported it.

Eagon Shen

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2020
Got the exact same issue. : ( My MBP with MacOS X Mojave installed syncs history well but no bookmarks. I can see the history list was updated on my iOS 13 device after I opened pages on MBP. And handoff works well too. Trying to deal with it I tried what apple website told me; I signed out apple ID, deselected Safari on iCloud setting throughout all my devices, cleaned up bookmarks data and reboot safari, deleted preference file in the hidden library, enabled debug menu for Safari and force it to sync iCloud data but sadly none of them is useful. I gave up but now I got this quest on the official forum and hope if anyone concerns this issue can click the button below to make it valued. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8231312

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.