Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Usually if I'm doing something in Safari for which I have entered a password or credit card number, etc. I will do Safari/Clear History. Of course, this affects access to other websites where I might want to remain logged in. I've never used a Private Window before but think this would be more convenient to do the things that I don't want remembered except I'm not sure of how it works. When one invokes a new private window, it says

"Safari will keep your browsing history private...After you close this window, Safari won't remember the pages you visited, your search history, or your AutoFill information."

What about non-autofill information, such as passwords or credit card numbers entered on a website? Is using a private window the same as doing Clear History, as far as information entered on the website in question, but without the universal effect of Clear History?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Passwords and credit card numbers are considered "auto-fill information." The Private Window mode is exactly what you're looking for if your goal is to keep your info private from others with physical access to your computer. It saves no user input information at all.

Reactions: mac_in_tosh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.