Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Anyone else experiencing this on iPadOS or iOS 15.4?

Sometimes when I click a link on a website, Safari will just reload the current page and lose all its history, almost like the tab crashes. I tried turning off extensions and even clearing cache but that had no effect. Never had this before iOS 15.4.

This can also happen when going back to a previous page and instead it reloads current page (before back was pressed or swipe used) and loses history again.

Seems like a pretty major bug. Also seen some websites load into about:blank instead of the page when you use the "open in background" option.

Reactions: sorgo † and dk001

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I also faced this problem. But I could not reproduce it on my own. But yes, I have seen it like you described - instead of opening new page, current with clicked link is reloaded.
iPad 2018 11” 15.4

Have you created report?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Yeah I reported it to Apple via their product feedback form. Glad to see it’s not just something weirdly specific on my setup. Hopefully it gets fixed quick. It is super annoying.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
If someone is looking for page: https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html
I have just sent them a feedback, I suppose it will reach them…
btw they have only 15.3.1 to choose ?

Thank you for mentioning this issue, I was scratching my head few times and thought that probably my screen is dirty or fingers are wet

Attachments

• A0BE5584-4C4D-407E-BC5E-88D6C77A59D3.png
    A0BE5584-4C4D-407E-BC5E-88D6C77A59D3.png
    1,008 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: dk001 and kasakka

vetoes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2017
I have noticed same thing however if you go in Safari history everything is fine and all entries are there. Issue is only with back and forward buttons.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
This is an issue with safari tab groups. Are you all using groups that experience the issue. If you browse in the normal area it’s fine. Definitely an annoying bug

Reactions: dk001

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
This is an issue with safari tab groups. Are you all using groups that experience the issue. If you browse in the normal area it’s fine. Definitely an annoying bug
I’m using tab groups to keep various MR forums open. I see the issue mostly with reading forum threads on MR.

I will keep my eyes open to see if I see this in non tab group browsing in other sites.

Also, I restarted my iPad yesterday and haven’t seen the issue since, so not sure if that helped or it just takes awhile to show up.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
this is the worst bug of recent years for me. The only thing that helps is disabling Safari in the iCloud settings. For me it feels like it tries to sync the tab groups state and another device (my iPad for me) wins and causes a crash of the sync.

Annoying as hell

Reactions: kasakka and addamas

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Yeah I've been using tab groups. Have to try disabling sync too and see how that does for me.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
this is the worst bug of recent years for me. The only thing that helps is disabling Safari in the iCloud settings. For me it feels like it tries to sync the tab groups state and another device (my iPad for me) wins and causes a crash of the sync.

Annoying as hell

That's probably the source of the issue. I'm getting the exact same behavior with Safari on my M1 iMac.

Reactions: grmlin and addamas

Tony0410

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2022
Exactly the same issue on my iPad Pro Using tab groups. I restored it before seeing this. It is so frustrating.

Reactions: grmlin

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Same issues here on my iPad Pro 2020. Tab groups crashing, reloading, snapping back and losing history/back button. Had a call with Apple yesterday and they don’t seem to be getting this as a widespread issue. I’ve tried everything (aside from a restore) but I recently turned off Safari in icloud and that seems to have done the trick….for now. It’s VERY random.

No problems when using the standard area, only in tab groups.

EDIT: See update post below, they‘re aware of it now .

Last edited:
Reactions: sorgo †

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I’m using tab groups to keep various MR forums open. I see the issue mostly with reading forum threads on MR.

I will keep my eyes open to see if I see this in non tab group browsing in other sites.

Also, I restarted my iPad yesterday and haven’t seen the issue since, so not sure if that helped or it just takes awhile to show up.
I too thought I fixed it with “clear history and data” in the safari settings. Only for it to reappear later in the day. It’s almost definitely an iCloud/sync issue specific to tab groups.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I too thought I fixed it with “clear history and data” in the safari settings. Only for it to reappear later in the day. It’s almost definitely an iCloud/sync issue specific to tab groups.
It broke the moment I updated to 15.4. So at least for me it was clearly introduced then. It's so annoying, I want my synchronized tabs back again

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Mine came back too....

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I just talked to support again. And they are definitely aware of it according to their engineering notes that just popped up this morning. The workaround they suggest right now is disabling Safari in iCloud settings while they work on it.

PWolverine

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
I've been having this issue and its driving me insane. Private browsing stops it, so recently for certain pages I use private browsing as it stops creating two invoices and things along those lines.

Does anyone know if its fixed in any of the beta versions out at the moment?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.