Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowelljohnson83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
I am using a Samsung SSD T5 as a boot drive. the startup speeds are great and general running isn't an issue. however I'm getting complete freezes especially when running applications like photoshop/premiere, leaving me with no alternative but to force the machine to power down manually.

the drive has been formatted as APFS. I am running Mojave 10.14.5. any clues

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't want to insult you, but have you looked at the energy saver pref pane to be sure that it's not set to "put hard disks to sleep when possible" ??

alaman64

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2017
I don't want to insult you, but have you looked at the energy saver pref pane to be sure that it's not set to "put hard disks to sleep when possible" ??

Not sure if that could be the problem as I have a T5 and never had any problems with it, the flag on energy saver is set to put hard drive to sleep when possible on my system.

I'd think it's probably more of a cable issue or the hard drive heating up. I'd RMA it. Because those T5s should be plug and play.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am using a Samsung SSD T5 as a boot drive. the startup speeds are great and general running isn't an issue. however I'm getting complete freezes especially when running applications like photoshop/premiere, leaving me with no alternative but to force the machine to power down manually.

the drive has been formatted as APFS. I am running Mojave 10.14.5. any clues
I'd suggest installing the Samsung SSD firmware updater from here: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/portable/t5/
and then checking too see if your T5 has any firmware updates available. There was one just in the past few weeks.
The Energy Saver sleep setting should make no difference for this device. Mine is set to allow sleep (although on a MacBook Pro) and I have never had any freezes with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.