Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TProof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
I'm thinking of adding an external SSD solution to my 2015 21inch retina iMac 85write/78read
There's a difference between the 850 SATA USB3 converter vs the T5?

TProof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
The T5 is much more convenient and is also very fast.
So you think that i can run the os x from the ssd and use the internal hdd for storage or use the ssd for everything

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
So you think that i can run the os x from the ssd and use the internal hdd for storage or use the ssd for everything

Yes, you should be able to run OS X. In addition keep on the SSD anything which requires fast loading times.

You can use the internal for items which don’t require quick access.

Reactions: TProof

TProof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Yes, you should be able to run OS X. In addition keep on the SSD anything which requires fast loading times.

You can use the internal for items which don’t require quick access.
Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"So you think that i can run the os x from the ssd and use the internal hdd for storage or use the ssd for everything"

Set it up this way:
1. Put the OS, your applications, and your accounts on the SSD (but see #2).
2. Keep your "large libraries" (such as movies, music, and photos) on the HDD. You will have to "re-direct" apps such as Photos and iTunes to "reference" the HDD for the library (they will "look to" the same drive the app is on by default).

The large libraries don't "need speed" -- they can run just as well when "left behind" on the HDD.
The goal is to keep the SSD "lean and clean" so it will performa at its best.

Do it this way and I predict that you'll be very pleased with the results.

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
The T5 is convenient, but the route I took was to buy a 2TB 850 Evo plus a $10 aluminum USB-3 case for it.

The result is the same basic convenience (in a slightly-larger form-factor), but a little faster and perhaps (debatable) a little more reliable. Significantly, this choice comes with an ability to eventually put the drive directly in some other computer or case (e.g. a multi-bay enclosure), while a T5 will only ever be an external dongle-like drive.

bc007

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
I'm thinking of adding an external SSD solution to my 2015 21inch retina iMac 85write/78read
There's a difference between the 850 SATA USB3 converter vs the T5?
[doublepost=1529678433][/doublepost]Samsung T5 packaging very deceptive - USB 3.1 Gen 2 - your CABLES can "plug into" the faster Apple ports but
you will only get USB speeds - nothing approaching 10 Gbps. The USB 3.1 gen 2 Apple port "interface" will reach those speeds but T5 ONLY supports basic USB speeds. Incredibly deceptive advertising. As of 6/2018 SanDisc is the only SSD that utilizes a Thunderbolt connection so if you want speed - we all do - I'd check our SanDisk's newest portable SSD. The tests on Tomshardware have it crushing the T5. I just bought the T5 an am now stuck with a basic "usb" speed SSD.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I get great speed from installing the SanDisk Ultra 3D in mine.

foto_no_exif_5.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018_06_09_at_11_04_42_PM.png

Reactions: mbosse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.