Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK

Attachments

• 3117-nv71.jpg
    3117-nv71.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 111

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Odd? Its strikingly similar to a Canon AE-1, I thought it was the coolest thing I've seen in a while, until I realized the dial is for auto exposure modes. If that dial was for shutter speeds I'd say it was awesome. now its only so so.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Looks like I'll be upgrading my 3 year old sony cam soon... I'm hoping they're not too pricey.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
jared_kipe said:
Odd? Its strikingly similar to a Canon AE-1, I thought it was the coolest thing I've seen in a while, until I realized the dial is for auto exposure modes. If that dial was for shutter speeds I'd say it was awesome. now its only so so.

Similar to the AE-1? It looks more like a Nokia phone or some recent German products. Samsung is finally trying to do interesting designs. Let's hope their human engineering hasn't gotten in the way, as is the problem with all of their consumer products.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
The new designs are really striking - dpreview notes that the pre-release models that they've received for testing feel like solid pieces of metal. I dig the 10 MP model (the NV 10) as well ($399) with the 35-105 zoom that fully retracts. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06070302samsungnv10.as

NV10-B-img-001.jpg

That model has electronic image stabilization only whereas the 7 MP model (the NV 7 OPS) pictured above in the first post (immediately above in this post is the 10 mp) has the electronic and physical stabilization and a longer zoom - but still priced below $500. p http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06070301samsungnv7.asp

I'm excited about these (the resports on the specs, the design and construction, and the price)- I think either the 7 or 10 may be my next small camera.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Me too. I really like the nuevo-retro, avant-garde or whatever-the-heck styling. Wish the NV10 had a better optical zoom range. Ten megapixels but only a 3x zoom seems a little odd, whereas the NV7 with seven megapixels has a 7x zoom. Actually, the NV7 may be the replacement for my Panasonic DMC-FX7 even with its protruding lens.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Besides the 10 megapixels compared to the 7 megapixels, the 7 megapixels seems to have all of the bells and whistles with the better zoom and extra image stabilization. Am I wrong about this?

By the way. I think they are the coolest looking camera I have seen in a while (for the price).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
ksz said:
Me too. I really like the nuevo-retro, avant-garde or whatever-the-heck styling. Wish the NV10 had a better optical zoom range. Ten megapixels but only a 3x zoom seems a little odd, whereas the NV7 with seven megapixels has a 7x zoom. Actually, the NV7 may be the replacement for my Panasonic DMC-FX7 even with its protruding lens.

10 MP seems a bit much anyway unless they have some way to counter the noise. You're only going to get so much zoom range with a flat camera. The fact that the NV7 does better is amazing to me.

The NV7 seems like a better balance. I wonder if they're all actually Pentax cameras in disguise.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
bousozoku said:
10 MP seems a bit much anyway unless they have some way to counter the noise. You're only going to get so much zoom range with a flat camera. The fact that the NV7 does better is amazing to me.

After actually reading about it rather than skimming, the NV7 is the best choice overall, and it's only 20 quid more than the NV10.

I wonder if they're all actually Pentax cameras in disguise.

Why would Pentax build better cameras for Samsung than they would for themselves? Pentax doesn't make anything nearly as good as the NV10 or NV7 for their own range. I'd imagine that if Pentax was to help design something like this for Samsung, they'd offer something very similar for their own range, only uglier. ;)

wingsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
If this is what Samsung has dreamt up so far, I can't wait to see what they'd turn out for their first DSLR (rather than rebadged Pentax ones) :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Abstract said:
Why would Pentax build better cameras for Samsung than they would for themselves? Pentax doesn't make anything nearly as good as the NV10 or NV7 for their own range. I'd imagine that if Pentax was to help design something like this for Samsung, they'd offer something very similar for their own range, only uglier. ;)

Just because they're not available at the moment, doesn't meant they're not in the works.

wingsky said:
If this is what Samsung has dreamt up so far, I can't wait to see what they'd turn out for their first DSLR (rather than rebadged Pentax ones) :)

Camera looks are wonderful, if you're taking photos of the camera. If you're taking photos with the camera, you'd better go with a group that knows better.

wnaegele

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2006
Samsung NV series "look"

IMHO, the "look" of the new Samsungs appears to have been inspired by the Leica 35mm rangefinder "M" series of cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.