Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahjin11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I recently purchased the TS3 Plus and it’s been excellent so far but I’ve noticed an odd issue/quirk with an external SSD plugged in via Thunderbolt 3.

I’m using the Samsung 1TB X5 which is a Thunderbolt 3 SSD, if I plug it in direct to the MacBook Pro (M1) I’m using I get almost 2,000MB/s but if I plug it into the Thunderbolt 3 port on the back of the TS3 then connect the TS3 to the MacBook as normal it seems to max out at just over 1,500MB/s

I’ve tried a number of different cables in different configurations, at the moment the TS3 is connected to the MacBook Pro via the cable that came with the TS3 then the X5 is connected with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 Pro cable so in theory I should be seeing maximum throughput right?

I don’t have anything else connected to the TS3 at the moment apart from ethernet so nothing else is ‘stealing’ bandwidth etc - not sure if that is even a concern anyway in this situation?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It might be overhead from the dock.

I have a X5 connected to a Caldigit Thunderbolt Station lite on my Late 2012 iMac via TB1. I expected speeds a little over 1000MBps with the X5 on TB1, but only get almost 900MBps.

I always suspected this was probably due to overhead of the TB3 dock. I am unable to use the X5 connected directly to the iMac due to needing the dock to power it, so I cannot test to see if it is the dock.

But, I have also noticed that USB speeds are slightly slower (15%-20%) on the TB3 dock than what I can get connecting directly to the iMac.

Reactions: sahjin11

sahjin11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Didn't know the overhead would be so much though, the best I've seen it do is 1670MBps via the dock - obviously that's still great but losing 400/500MBps seems to somewhat invalidate the usefulness of the dock.

I wonder if it's something specific to the TS3 operating within Big Sur - I've contacted Caldigit support as well to see what they think - maybe it's just the cost of the dock but it's a steep price.

Heatboy

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
Denmark
I recently purchased the TS3 Plus and it’s been excellent so far but I’ve noticed an odd issue/quirk with an external SSD plugged in via Thunderbolt 3.

I’m using the Samsung 1TB X5 which is a Thunderbolt 3 SSD, if I plug it in direct to the MacBook Pro (M1) I’m using I get almost 2,000MB/s but if I plug it into the Thunderbolt 3 port on the back of the TS3 then connect the TS3 to the MacBook as normal it seems to max out at just over 1,500MB/s

I’ve tried a number of different cables in different configurations, at the moment the TS3 is connected to the MacBook Pro via the cable that came with the TS3 then the X5 is connected with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 Pro cable so in theory I should be seeing maximum throughput right?

I don’t have anything else connected to the TS3 at the moment apart from ethernet so nothing else is ‘stealing’ bandwidth etc - not sure if that is even a concern anyway in this situation?
What are the write speeds directly into your M1 Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.