Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
My dSLR offers 10MP but I end up shooting at 6MP anyway - it's more than enough for me. Heck if my camera offered it I'd shoot 4MP. There is hardly a difference, and I crop very rarely these days. It's all in the lens.

The lens on that phone wouldn't be anywhere near that of quality dSLR glass, so sure, you'd be getting eight whole million pixels but what those pixels display can't match that of a dSLR no matter what the resolution. Also, 8MP on such a small sensor would most likely just make it prone to more digital noise (unless they have some super smart software working in the background).

So I'm not weeping just yet, if I were you with that K100D I wouldn't be either :)

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
DSLR killer app

That's it! I'm fed up with this useless DSLR! (Slams 5DMkII to the floor in anger.) Canon, Nikon -- are you listening? Your next generation of cameras MUST BE ABLE TO MAKE PHONE CALLS.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
i want to be able to change the shutter sound on my d80. who wants to hear a shutter opening and closing?! not me!!! I want to hear a dog barking whenever i snap a pic.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
That's it! I'm fed up with this useless DSLR! (Slams 5DMkII to the floor in anger.) Canon, Nikon -- are you listening? Your next generation of cameras MUST BE ABLE TO MAKE PHONE CALLS.

I can just imagine someone holding a D3 up to their ear.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
This reminds me of the time I wanted a new cell phone, and the salesman offered me a phone with a 5Mp camera and claimed it could take better pictures than any camera I had.

Long story short: It couldn't. :p

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
This reminds me of the time I wanted a new cell phone, and the salesman offered me a phone with a 5Mp camera and claimed it could take better pictures than any camera I had.

Long story short: It couldn't. :p

Haha, does this mean you made him prove it?!

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Of course! He hyped so much about the camera (and implied my camera was crap) that I asked him to establish a non-scientific comparison: Take a portrait of the store owner (a friend of mine) across the room.

Poor lad... :rolleyes:

That's great, and the answer I was hoping to hear. :)

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I genuinely can't tell whether this is a serious comment or not...
Pixels doesn't equal quality. Do you really not believe that?

I had a 6.1 megapixel P&S by Sony that took fine pictures but then stepped up to a 6.1 megapixel dSLR by Pentax and it took far better pictures. Megapixels aren't everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.