Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thought people might be interested in these new super fast and massive cards!

Chase Jarvis is doing a photography campaign for Sandisk for these bad boys and he's using them too.

Sources:
Chase Jarvis Blog
Sandisk

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I worry about using such high capacity cards. Right now I have a few 4 GB (bought for $20 in 11/2008) and one 8 GB, all SanDisk Extremes. I get nervous storing every single photo from a session on one card. At 64 GB I doubt I'd have to change the card at all even on a 2-week vacation. That's a lot of photos and each image from my camera is about 13 GB.

I think at best I'd be using 8-16GB, until those were eventually phased out.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Until I have a camera that writes redundantly to two cards, I'm not committing a shoot to a single big card. I'm still using 4 GB cards. If a card goes bad, I don't want to lose an entire event. And I have had a card get corrupted once before.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Yes, cameras should have the ability to write to 2 cards at once but still the capacity and speed is amazing!

Don't think that you are forced to have all the images on the card just because the capacity is there. Use the card until you have access to your Mac then download them and go shooting again until you next meet your Mac. I'm thinking its useful if your on a long shoot or don't have access to your Mac (holiday?)

The speed is 3x greater than my 8GB Sandisk extreme III 30MB/s which is awesome!

And the capacity is more of a reserve tank. It's more likely that your camera runs out of battery before the card does storage!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Yes, cameras should have the ability to write to 2 cards at once but still the capacity and speed is amazing!

Don't think that you are forced to have all the images on the card just because the capacity is there. Use the card until you have access to your Mac then download them and go shooting again until you next meet your Mac. I'm thinking its useful if your on a long shoot or don't have access to your Mac (holiday?)

The speed is 3x greater than my 8GB Sandisk extreme III 30MB/s which is awesome!

And the capacity is more of a reserve tank. It's more likely that your camera runs out of battery before the card does storage!
Or I can spend a hell of a lot less money and stick to 4 GB cards. My camera (Nikon D200) can't take advantage of the faster speeds anyway since it doesn't support UDMA.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I can't even fill up an 8GB card. 64GB would be overkill for me. Would be good for video HD

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
That 64GB card sells for a bit over $800 according to the Sandisk website. Contrast that with the $45 I paid recently for an 8GB 45MB/sec Lexar card. For $800 I could buy 8 8GB Lexar cards, plus a halfway decent lens with the price difference. These new cards seem aimed mostly at the video market.

Saturday was typical of a heavy shooting day for me. I shot 2800 photos that added up to a bit over 30GB (12mpx 12-bit raw files). The event I was shooting is organized into 4 run groups. I use an 8GB card or a pair of 4GB cards for each group. The current crop of 24mpx cameras don't support the frame rates I need at this time, so resolution creep isn't going to affect me until the next generation of very high resolution cameras comes to market in a few years time.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Depends on the camera. If you are shooting with a 5D mkII or 1Ds mkIII, then each photo is 24MP.

Yesterday I shot 44GB worth of images at one event. 16GB, 3x8GB, 4GB cards. I would prefer to be on cards that give me 300+ images in general so the new 64GB option might be overkill, but in 3-4 years, it may be just right.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
In wedding photography, you have to use many small cards, so that if a card dies, you only lose a fraction of the photos and hopefully the bride won't sue you. If I shot everything on one massive card and it failed for some reason... let's just say it wouldn't be good. I use 1, 2, and 4GB cards only.

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I'm sure there were folks that said the auto would never catch on. And they lived next door to the guy that said "don't put all your eggs in one basket".
I may be wrong but I feel like I'm living dangerously using 8 gig on my D3 and using the second card as an overflow. I don't intend to push the envelope beyond the 8 gig and I'm sure that after I have one fail, I'll switch to writing both cards at the same time. 64 gigs is amazing technology but it belongs to high res video, I think.
I shoot raw and I get about 300+ on 8 gig. If I shot jpeg I would drop down to a 4 gig card.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I'm going to purchase one of the 32MB 60MB/Write speed cards. I'm gonna own a 7D so I'll be shooting video. the 64GB one is WAYYYYY out of my price range but I'd love to have one for video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.