Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The True Wireless Mini Bluetooth Earphones from Savfy mimic a lot of what the new Apple Airpods do but in a more generic fashion. These come nicely packaged with a rechargeable protective case, a pair each of small, medium & large silicon tips, a Micro USB cable and user manual. While this package may seem a little pricy for the average consumer, it comes in at half the price of the Apple version and are certainly a step up in build and audio quality over cheaper, entry level earphones.

The earphones themselves are of the in ear monitor (IEM) variety and surprisingly small given there are no cords or external units attached, measuring in at 20 x 13mm. The housings are fashioned from a mixture of aluminium and plastic giving them good strength as well as their lightness.
Before receiving these, I must admit to having a few preconceptions such as would the small size mean poor audio quality, would the Bluetooth range be sufficient and would the small design without cords or similar, make these a pain to handle and insert/retrieve from the ear? Thankfully, all these concerns were quickly debunked after a short period with the earphones which I will expand on throughout the review.

Playback time is rated at 2.5 - 3 hours of use or 150 hours in standby which are very respectable figures given the size of the earbuds and the fact there is no external unit to house a larger battery. The battery capacity is 40mAh per earbud but with the supplied charging case, this run time is greatly increased when out on the go. Now there is a little confusion around this as the product page states the case will fully recharge these earphones 13 times between charges offering a playback time around 30 hours however the product packaging states around 90 hours when being replenished by the charging case. I suspect the true figure is somewhere in-between given the charging case has a capacity of 2100mAh which could fully recharge both earbuds 26 times!

These Bluetooth 4.1 earphones supports HFP, HSP, AVRCP & A2DP profiles although there is no mention of support for the aptX codec. Bluetooth range is the standard 10 metres which should pose no issue given the audio source would typically be worn on the user for this type of earphone. I did test these in my office by leaving my iPhone on the desk and walking around 10 metres away through two glass office walls without a single blip or dropout so the range of these is certainly up to the task provided you avoid major obstacles. I say this because when I sat at my desk and put my phone in my steel desk drawer, the audio did drop out regularly but did recommence almost instantly when retrieving the phone from the drawer. Keeping the phone in my back pocket during testing did not cause any dropouts either which was a pleasant surprise as this has affected other Bluetooth earphones I have used.

Each earphone has a discreet multifunction button and tiny LED to indicate operating, pairing and power status. The button controls things such as power, play/pause and call answering/rejecting although there was no function to control volume or track skipping on the earphones themselves, this has to be controlled from the source device. The button will also activate a hands-free mode or Siri on an Apple device. Call quality is as expected with calls coming in nice and clear although the caller reported audio being a little quiet and muffled on their end.

New out of the box, first impressions are certainly favourable. They have a reasonably warm sound with a good, reasonably clear midrange. Bass comes through with a fairly satisfying thump even if it does lack a little texture. Treble is there but sounds more in the background and lacks a little sparkle. With very complex tracks, things can start to sound a little muddy and lose a little detail but for the most part, these sound surprisingly good, especially after being run in for a few hours. They didn't improve or open up as much as with some other earphones I have tried although there is a small but noticeable improvement after some time.
For the record, these come with an official frequency range of 100 ~ 15000Hz which sounds about right given my experience with them.

These are comfortable to wear, more so than I was expecting given they have no additional support. The selection of tips on offer contribute to this and also help isolate you from outside sounds. Not everything is blocked out but the vast majority is to make listening to quieter passages easy going and these are on a par with anything else I have tested. I actually prefer to be able to hear louder external noises when wearing earphones for safety reasons so would consider these ideal for normal day to day use. Selecting the best fitting size of tip is crucial to getting the best sound out of these though and also ensuring they remain in the ear while active. I haven't had the chance to try these doing any rigorous exercise but they stayed safely in place while I was out on a bike ride. I was concerned that these would be fiddly to insert and retrieve but I found them surprisingly easy to put in and take out; you just need to make a point of pushing these deep into the ear canal and there is still sufficient barrel exposed to grasp with two fingers. Despite this, they have never once fallen out of the ear and they would likely hold up well when out running, the only unknown for me is if sweat would create the risk of them sliding out during use.

The charging case measures in at 90 x 39 x 22mm and weighs 94g including the earphones. The earphones drop in face down and are held securely in place by magnets when being stored and charging. The outer case is actually oversized and slides up to offer additional protection to the earphones and can be slid back to make retrieving them easy. On the opposite end from the earphones, are a small LED to indicate charge level and two USB ports; a micro USB port for charging the case and a full sized Type A USB port which allows the case to charge other USB devices such as a smartphone with the appropriate cable.

There are some nice practical touches such as when you first connect and play music or when you un-pause music, it fades in instead of blaring out at full volume. I also like that you can operate a single earphone on its own which is great when out cycling as it means I can listen to music or take calls while leaving one ear free for safety reasons. This also means the other earphone is safely tucked away in the charging case, ready for use if the operating earphone runs out of battery, effectively doubling the runtime!

For the money, you are getting a great Bluetooth earphone package if you like being free from any cables with the added practicality of a storage case that also provides charging duties when out and about. I consider these very good all-round earphones indeed, and a great value alternative to the likes of the Apple Airpods.

More details can be found at http://savfyshop.com/Bluetooth-Head...Bluetooth-Earbuds-With-Portable-Charging-Case

Disclaimer. I received these free from the Supplier for evaluation but I only post my honest of products that impress me.

Attachments

• Savfy1.jpeg
    Savfy1.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Savfy2.jpeg
    Savfy2.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Savfy3.jpeg
    Savfy3.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 105
  • Savfy4.jpeg
    Savfy4.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Savfy5.jpeg
    Savfy5.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Savfy6.jpeg
    Savfy6.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Savfy7.jpeg
    Savfy7.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Reactions: mrex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.