Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karijcrossphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I have just switched from a pc to Mac and having a lot of frustrations with the software I can and can not use. I finally decided to purchase Aperture, but, am having some major issues - I hope somebody can help! (Oh, and just an fyi, I know many people love photoshop, and will suggest I convert, but, I am just not a fan, and just spent the $200 on Aperture.... so, gotta work with what I have)
I do a few special effects and brightening through Picnik. After I am done in Picnik and want to save the file, how do I save my file back into the Aperture album it's in without having to save it on to my desktop first, and then drag the picture in..... then have to delete the same - unedited file that is still in the album?!
Also, I just tried uploading files from my Aperture library to my lab, Mpix, and it would not go into Aperture to retrieve files! I had to make another separate folder on my desktop and take them from there.
This is so not effective workflow!! Please help! Thank you!!!

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Is picnik set as the editor in Aperture (I don't even know if it can be). With photoshop, you set the editor in Aperture to photoshop, in Aperture select 'edit image'(or something similar), then just edit away. Aperture duplicates the image and you edit the copy. Saving in photoshop automatically updates the image in aperture. How are you getting the images from aperture to picnik?

Other cheap (or free) alternatives that should cooperate well with Aperture include GIMP(free), Photoshop elements (<$100) and many others. It may be worth trying local editing software if you can't get picnik and aperture to play nicely.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
What jampat said. You have to define your external editor in Aperture's preferences, then you right-click on the image and select the option to edit it with the external editor. When you save it in the external application, it will be automatically re-imported into Aperture as a new version.

This should work with -any- software, not only with Photoshop - although that's the most powerful choice. Aperture can export PSD (8 and 16 Bit), TIFF and JPG (or was it PNG?) to the external application.

You should also check the "always create new version" option in Aperture's preferences.

What you have been doing so far obviously works, but it's not the way the software was designed to do it.

I'm also a heavy Windows user and I do not hate it, and here is what I think is the major difference between Mac OS X and Windows: Windows always wants you to take a detour, but Mac OS X always takes the way straight ahead. Usually, what your -- intention -- tells you is what you should do in OS X. The only problem is that after twenty years of using Microsoft (or Unix/Linux) software you no longer trust your intention.

karijcrossphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Thank you for your replies... I found the preferences option, but, it will not allow me to add picnik in the list. Picnik is an online editing spot. There is no software to download, so, I guess that is why it is not bringing it up?? Picnik is opening the images fine right out of Aperture, but, it's getting anything to save there that is the issue!!

Mpix is a completely different issue... it doesn't even give me to option to grab my photos out of Aperture....

Thanks again for all of your help.....

karijcrossphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
So, I have identified my external editor as iphoto just so i can use the de-noise option that is 100% better than aperture (so frustrating) and it's not converting over after i hit "done" on the iphoto edit. i am right clicking on my photo, opening with iphoto as the external editor, and doing what i need to do with the shot, hit done... and it's suppose to save.... right?! what gives?! sorry to sound so editing ignorant, but, how can windows aps be so much more simple?!

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
iPhoto is not a photo editor. So when you export your photo to iPhoto it is storing the photo in the iPhoto library and it will remain there. If you want to use picnik for your photo editing that's fine. Export your photo, upload it to picnik and then when you're done, locate the edited photo in Finder and click and drag it into Aperture, next to the original, done. The photo is now saved in your Aperture library.

karijcrossphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
that is what i have been doing, i was just hoping there was an easier way, this does not make for very efficient work flow! thank you!

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Well you could always use the mac version of Gimp or something if you are after free software.
I think your "workflow thinking" is flawed though, Aperture is a Photo Organizer and manipulator. Aperture 3 does a lot of effects in a nondestructive way, something that PicNik will not do. I do not know what special effects you are referring to but the only way to edit non destructively is to have a photo editor locally. A lot of people use Photoshop elements or even pixelator instead of full blown photoshop.
Also look into Aperture plugins (NIK Software, onOne etc.) in order to streamline everything into Aperture.
My 2 c.
//f

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.