Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WanderingPhilosopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Many years ago I experimented with creating separate calendars for separate types of events, but it got too messy and was no longer relevant, so I abandoned that system and just use one of them now.

However, since events for the past decade and a half are assigned to many different calendars, if I delete the calendars, I'll lose those events. I'd like to be able to save them in a form that's searchable without being part of my current Calendar application. I tried using the "Archive" command, but ended up with a backup file that, when double-clicked, threatened to replace my current calendar, so that's not what I want. When I try to "Export" a calendar, I ended up with what seemed to be an importable event (or maybe it's a group of events; didn't import so don't know for sure).

I would like to put all those old, extraneous calendars and their miscellaneous events in a separate, searchable file that is no longer part of my current Calendar application. Any ideas? For now I am just hiding the "Calendar" tab so at least I don't have to look at all the Calendars, but it is a little annoying that events synched from my iPhone are ending up in the wrong calendar, despite the fact that I checked the right one as the "default" in preferences. Also, now that there doesn't seem to be any other way to synch with my phone besides iCloud, I'd like to pare down the personal data I'm sending over storing in the Calendar.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That Export... option in the menu will give you an ICS file that can be used (imported) in many different apps. So you could find some other calendar app you like and import the ICS to that. Or you could even import that ICS file in Google Calendar for example and access it from there online.

Reactions: BrianBaughn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.