Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2007
new york
Just saw this about Onyx:

The development of my applications is not discontinued!
Unfortunately, I no have my Intel iMac anymore and I don't know when I could to recover it.
I would like to buy a new Mac M1 (MacBook Air or Pro), but I am unemployed and no credit has been accepted.
If you want help me to purchase a new Mac M1, click the Donate button​

I've pitched in. Worth supporting? Think Apple should.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Do you know for a fact that the developer of Onyx is not a native English speaker? Why would an individual release that instead of it coming directly from the Company in an official press release? Looks suspicious to me, but I did not click on the link.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Do you know for a fact that the developer of Onyx is not a native English speaker? Why would an individual release that instead of it coming directly from the Company in an official press release? Looks suspicious to me, but I did not click on the link.
The TLD is French and the statement appears on the website.

Not saying it is 100% kosher, but these facts do lend credibility.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I don’t know anything about Titanium Software and its developer, but it seems to be French based. So presumably a non native-English speaker. I also presume it is a one person business.

There has always been a donate option, but this seems to be a genuine request for support on the website. I noticed this message yesterday when updating Onyx with a MacOS update, and I think it’s genuine and will be supporting as I have reliably used Onyx occasionally for many years and OS versions.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2007
new york
I believe it to be a genuine call for support.

The developer is French. Great app that I have used for years. An app that regularly gets referenced on MacRumors when people are looking to sort out problems with their devices.

It would be a shame if it disappeared for want of a Mac.

Don't know why the developer doesn't just sell the app. Even at a dollar a time, he'd make a good income ... that's if the number of people who claim to have used the app are being honest and divvy up a buck. I know everyone in my Mac-using world uses Onyx on their devices.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Nah, OnyX has been around for ages and has always been completely free. There's no "company" -- just one guy. I'll pitch in a few bucks, just on the basis that I've been using it for 10+ years now.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2007
new york
Fripping love this community...

Onyx.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.