Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riomhaire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Would really appreciate some help on this, trying to save old text messages from a dying iphone 3gs. I saved a lot to my itunes till about a year ago when i downloaded a new version of itunes that won't work till i upgrade my OS (currently 10.6.8).

Question is, how can I find the messages that may have been backed up on my macbook pro via itunes? are they stored in a readable format, if at all? and is there any way to save the ones that didn't get backed up???

Bearing in mind that phone and laptop OS are well behind so any third party apps I've found won't work, or Cloud. Or is there a way to restore an older version of iTunes back on my computer (I didn't use Time Machine when backing up).

Anyone got any ideas?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Would really appreciate some help on this, trying to save old text messages from a dying iphone 3gs. I saved a lot to my itunes till about a year ago when i downloaded a new version of itunes that won't work till i upgrade my OS (currently 10.6.8).

Question is, how can I find the messages that may have been backed up on my macbook pro via itunes? are they stored in a readable format, if at all? and is there any way to save the ones that didn't get backed up???

Bearing in mind that phone and laptop OS are well behind so any third party apps I've found won't work, or Cloud. Or is there a way to restore an older version of iTunes back on my computer (I didn't use Time Machine when backing up).

Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried attaching the text messages to email and then sending it to yourself? Without any valid backups to use to restore from and being so far behind with OS X and an old iPhone, there really isn't much you can do, if anything...

riomhaire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Hi chscag, what do you mean when you say attaching? The only thing I could do would be copy and paste perhaps but that would be a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to save long text conversations.. to be honest at the moment it looks like my only option is to type them out manually...

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

Anyone got any ideas?
Have you tried iBackupbot? They claim it works back to iOS 2 (with their "older" version) and OS X 10.5. I've used it successfully with Windows; don't know about the Mac version. It's nagware, but I've used it successfully without paying anything.

It enables Windows to export messages from iTunes backups, or direct from a USB connected iPhone, in CSV, Excel, or the native db format.

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

Reactions: stormchaser

riomhaire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Thanks jetsam, that looks like it might work.. I'll give it a go and let you know.. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.