Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Ok, so you know that sound external flashes make when they charge? That high pitched whiiiiiiiiiiine?

My SB-600 is making that noise with freshly charged batteries all the time. I was photographing an event the other week and I had charged my batteries the night before, but they kept running out during the event. I think that was an issue with the rechargeable batteries (they were quite old) rather than the flsh.

Since then, I got another set of rechargeables, and the flash seems to work ok, but constantly has that horrible whine.

I know something must be wrong, but is it a serious problem?

futuremac

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know, but my rechargeable Ni-MH batteries didn't last long at all. I think they may be a bit old, but I only ever charged them 20 times. Even if I left the camera off for one night the batteries will be dead in the morning. If anyone has luck with a particular type of rechargeable please tell! My cheap Ikea LR6 batteries go ten times longer.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I tried some regular duracell batteries in the flash, and it worked fine with no whining. I guess it was my rechargables that needed replacing. Thank goodness, i really didn't want to have to buy a new flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.