Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Most of the time I shoot outdoor pics with my zoom, and indoor ones with my 1.8f 50mm to avoid having to use any Flash. Recently I purchased an SB-800 and haven't a clue what to set on it. If there's a setting which you nikonians use about 80-90% of the time, please share it.

any helpful tips would be much appreciated.

thanks

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Most of the time I shoot outdoor pics with my zoom, and indoor ones with my 1.8f 50mm to avoid having to use any Flash. Recently I purchased an SB-800 and haven't a clue what to set on it. If there's a setting which you nikonians use about 80-90% of the time, please share it.

any helpful tips would be much appreciated.

thanks

Mostly matrix Balanced fill [TTL BL on the display] with about 1.3-2.0 stops of negative exposure compensation, but you'll have to change the comp based on subject distance.

The rest of the time, mine lives in SU4 mode as a flash-triggered slave to act as an additional background light.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
2x on the TTL or TTL BL… when I'm working with static objects (studio-like situation) I'll go to manual.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Just for completeness, I assume you've read the manual and understand it's possible to overshoot and melt the thing if you're in high-speed continuous mode and you blast away- not a big deal unless you're not aware of it- I've never needed to shoot that quickly (heck, I haven't even done the multiple flash mode play stuff yet and I've had mine for years.)

I might have a chance to get mine in the field with a better beamer on it this weekend- it'll feel like a flash again, and not just a convenient background light in the studio! I'm really glad it has SU-4 mode though, it's saved me from needed an additional head in the studio a bunch of times when I've been shooting high key.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Just for completeness, I assume you've read the manual and understand it's possible to overshoot and melt the thing if you're in high-speed continuous mode and you blast away

Seriously? I've yet to find a set of AA Batteries that would allow me to pop off that many flashes in a row that quickly.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Seriously? I've yet to find a set of AA Batteries that would allow me to pop off that many flashes in a row that quickly.

First part of the manual:

5 If you detect heat, smoke or notice a burning smell, immediately stop operation and remove the batteries to prevent the unit from catching on
fire or melting. Allow the flash unit to cool down so that you can safely touch
it and remove the batteries. Then bring the unit to your local Nikon dealer or
authorized service center for repair

Additional manual text (redone to make it readable here):

Do not exceed the maximum number of continuous firings
You should allow the SB-800 to cool off for at least 10 minutes after the
maximum number of continuous firings are performed as shown in the
table below:

Flash mode Max. number of continuous firings (at 6 frames/sec.)
TTL auto flash 15
Non-TTL auto flash/Auto Aperture flash 15
Manual flash (Flash output level: M1/1, M1/2) 15
Manual flash (Flash output level: M1/4 to M1/128) 40

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
I'm talking about 4 standard Duracell batteries... Set to 6/fps, I've never had the flash keep up- even with fresh batteries.

I know you have to be careful with some of the power packs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.