Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacbookBennet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new USB C Monitor to use along my 2016 MacbookPro.

The Monitor is a Lenovo ThinkVision P27h which runs a resolution of 2560 x 1440.

Everything is working fine besides an issue with the UI scaling.
The Macbook chooses to run the Monitor with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 by default, which makes the interface super small and text somewhat pixelated.

I figured this wouldn't be much of a problem since the MacOS settings offer an option to scale the UI bigger or smaller (see first picture). However, this feature is not availabe for the external monitor (see 2nd picture).
Instead, all I'm able to do is to change the resolution which makes the image blurry and unsharp.

Realising MacOS itself won't help much I downloaded an application called SwitchResX. The app offers many different resolution and scaling options to choose from (see picture 3 for a few of the options).

I tried many of the offered resolutions and scaling options and came to the conlusion that it needs to be one with the letters ''HiDPI'' behind it. Especially the options 1440 x 900 HiDPI or 1680 x 1050 HiDPI make the image super smooth and sharp.
Last problem is, that the stated options are not in the right aspect ratio (needs to be 16:9 and they are 16:10) leaving the monitor with 2 black stripes on either side.. (see picture 4)

Does anyone know how to create your own resolution which has the aspect ratio of 16:9 while still having the HiDPI ''thing'' activated?

Thank you very much for helping
Bennet

Attachments

• Skalierung Mac.png
    Skalierung Mac.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Skalierung Monitor.png
    Skalierung Monitor.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 125
  • SwitchResX.png
    SwitchResX.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 110
  • YT Scaled.jpg
    YT Scaled.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 104
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.