Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
My wife recently got a pop-up from Apple on her iPad telling her she had a terrible virus. Not being familiar with scams or viruses, she unknowingly signed up for an ad blocking software to the tune of $9.99/week. When I found out, we canceled the subscription. We also canceled the debit card she used. Was this a scam? The promotion had Apple all over it but the company was different. See below:

Subscription
AdBlocker Protection​
App
Adblocker Utility Pro​
Content Provider
GOLDWEB SOLUTIONS SP Z.O.O.​
Date of Purchase
Jun 27, 2020​
Introductory Offer
Free for 3 days​
Renewal Price
$9.99/week starting Jun 30, 2020​

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My wife recently got a pop-up from Apple on her iPad telling her she had a terrible virus. Not being familiar with scams or viruses, she unknowingly signed up for an ad blocking software to the tune of $9.99/week. When I found out, we canceled the subscription. We also canceled the debit card she used. Was this a scam? The promotion had Apple all over it but the company was different. See below:

Subscription
AdBlocker Protection​
App
Adblocker Utility Pro​
Content Provider
Date of Purchase
Jun 27, 2020​
Introductory Offer
Free for 3 days​
Renewal Price

Scam.

$10.00 a week?

Monitor any/all activity with your accounts and advise your financial Holder of the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's not a scam per se (unless it doesn't actually work, though it's nicely implemented). It's just way too pricey for the value it adds. $9.99/month, maybe, but even then, for this kind of app, I'd expect more like $4.99/month.

[edit]

Where the "scam" can come from is if there's purposeful fake virus alert injection into - for example - an ad, and that redirects to this app. Though there's been plenty of cases where an ad company does that, gets paid for click-thru, and the client company isn't even aware that's how the traffic is being generated.
[automerge]1593783122[/automerge]
Scam.

$10.00 a week?

Monitor any/all activity with your accounts and advise your financial Holder of the situation.

Nah, just cancel the subscription, that's all handled through the App Store (including the weekly sub transaction).

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Subscription
AdBlocker Protection​
App
Adblocker Utility Pro​
Content Provider
Date of Purchase
Jun 27, 2020​
Introductory Offer
Free for 3 days​
Renewal Price

At best it's a total ripoff. At worst it's a scam.

Either way run far far away.

There exactly zero reputable Anti-Virus /Anti-Malware businesses that would sell you a solution for a single device for $519.48 a year.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adblocker-utility-pro/id1505189377 so it is on the App Store but it does nothing for virus, it just slowly empties your bank with its subscription. Assuming this is the same app.
Wow look at the reviews!

Vevay Lorenz, 06/06/2020
Great app
If you open the App Store today, you may see a great variety of different apps and this is brilliant! You can find any app you need for any case you need and at any price which is convenient for you. I’m just impressed how smart all the developers are nowadays cause all the time they think about all the problems users may have and they try to help them with their great solutions and ideas. And one of their great examples is the app which helps us to avoid all the annoying and awful ads in the net. I’m talking about Adblocker Utility Pro. Have you heard of that yet? If yes, you’d 100% agree with me that it’s super cool! If you haven’t, go to the store right now and download it on your cell phone. I had tried a few apps like that before I’ve found this incredible invention of our app developers. Once you use that, you’ll fall in love with it, I’m telling you ?

/s

i.e. Intense sarcasm and rolling eyes. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: D.T. and TiggrToo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.