Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I am a beginner and taking a photography class. I'm wanting to make decent scans of 8x10 prints using my hp all-in-one (psc1210). You can see my results so far here.

I would like some pointers for improving my scans (and improving my photos if you like).

For some reason the blacks are coming through with a gray grid-like pattern that I would like to get rid of. Also the scans seem to pick up a lot of dust spots that I can't see on the print itself. Could these be from the scanner? I've applied minimal photoshopping to get rid of some of the dust specks, but is there something else I can do?

Here are the settings I'm using in the TWAIN utility:
Output: Grayscale (8bit)
Resoultion: 600
Sharpen: None
Dust and Scratch removal: None

Any help would be great!

Thanks

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I keep checking this thread and hoping for a response... I don't really have any prints that I'd bother scanning, and I don't have any scanner, but suggestions would be nice for if I somehow found myself in such a situation I guess. :eek:

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
You are probably better off asking the question at a place like this:
http://www.retouchpro.com/

You could always try scanning it using the colour photo settings (and then adjust the image in PS if need be) to see if it makes much of a difference.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am a beginner and taking a photography class. I'm wanting to make decent scans of 8x10 prints using my hp all-in-one (psc1210). You can see my results so far here.

I would like some pointers for improving my scans (and improving my photos if you like).

For some reason the blacks are coming through with a gray grid-like pattern that I would like to get rid of. Also the scans seem to pick up a lot of dust spots that I can't see on the print itself. Could these be from the scanner? I've applied minimal photoshopping to get rid of some of the dust specks, but is there something else I can do?

Here are the settings I'm using in the TWAIN utility:
Output: Grayscale (8bit)
Resoultion: 600
Sharpen: None
Dust and Scratch removal: None

Any help would be great!

Thanks

I think your problem is simply low quality hardware. Banding/paterning is an artifact cased by low bit depth. Those all in one scanner/printer/faxes are not quite what the fine art photography community prefers to use. Also I suspect that enabling "Dust and Scratch removal: would help with the dust and scratches.

I think you are seeing why people say it is best to scan the negatives with a high quality scanner.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I think you are seeing why people say it is best to scan the negatives with a high quality scanner.

yeah, if you can afford it. But they said they were a beginner.

Only thing I would suggest is to just keep playing around with different options, making sure you note the settings for each scan so you can tell them apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.