Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
So i have A very high number of photos i need to scan in for a video. I have a high speed scanner with a feeder. Is there a way i can set up Photoshop or another program to scan these pictures one after another? I dont need specific names A number will do just fine.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Doesn't your scanner software have a batch mode for saving images that are scanned using the feeder? A "scan to file" option? Then just open the saved files in Photoshop.

If not, perhaps the scanner comes with the plug-in for Photoshop that allows PS to import the images from the scanner (see the Photoshop File->Import... menu item).

What scanner is it?

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Doesn't your scanner software have a batch mode for saving images that are scanned using the feeder? A "scan to file" option? Then just open the saved files in Photoshop.

If not, perhaps the scanner comes with the plug-in for Photoshop that allows PS to import the images from the scanner (see the Photoshop File->Import... menu item).

What scanner is it?

Its a xerox Documate 510.
I dont know where all the software is and i dont really want to go look for because wont it prolly all be for Windows?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Is it connected and working with your Mac right now? Xerox site says it supports TWAIN, but I don't know if it requires a specific driver for your Mac.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Is it connected and working with your Mac right now? Xerox site says it supports TWAIN, but I don't know if it requires a specific driver for your Mac.
I havent tried it yet but i found the software and it says for windows 2000 or xp. Ill see if i can just get it to do a single scan and ill let u kno

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
So i have A very high number of photos i need to scan in for a video. I have a high speed scanner with a feeder. Is there a way i can set up Photoshop or another program to scan these pictures one after another? I dont need specific names A number will do just fine.

Is Image Capture not working with your scanner? It does this just fine with the automatic document feeder of my Canon multi-function printer/scanner. Load a stack of documents in the feeder, and Image Capture will scan each and save it in a separate file.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
The scanner aint registerin with my MAc. and where would i find a driver i looked on xerox's website but didn't see anything. Whats image capture?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Image Capture is an app that comes with your Mac (I think 10.3 and up?) that is located in your Applications folder. If the scanner is attached via USB and usable, IC should find it.

Nice catch, tilman.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Ok well i found image capture. But it says "No image Capture device connected." The scanner is USB and THe ligths on the scanner say its functional. Ive also tried two USB slots and reset the scanner

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
I found the drivers site on xerox's website and they dont have mac osx drivers.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
You may be out of luck - it's an older device that might not be supported. If Image Capture doesn't see it, you're unlikely to be able to attach to it as far as I know. I had the same problem with an older Visioneer scanner a couple of years ago.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
darn. i suppose ill have to use my pc and then transfer the files then. BOO hoo.

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
I found the drivers site on xerox's website and they dont have mac osx drivers.

Without a driver, you don't get very far. Your choices are to get another scanner, use Windows, or try a software like Vuescan (use Google to find it). Vuescan is not free, but it works with most scanners directly, without using a driver. It's also not very easy to use, but works well once you figure it out.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Without a driver, you don't get very far. Your choices are to get another scanner, use Windows, or try a software like Vuescan (use Google to find it). Vuescan is not free, but it works with most scanners directly, without using a driver. It's also not very easy to use, but works well once you figure it out.
Thanks but ill just use windows.

deef

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
VueScan with Documate 510

I have the same scanner and just downloaded VueScan trial today -- so far the scanner shows up in System Profiler but VueScan doesn't recognize it, even though the VS website lists it as supported. I've e-mailed the developer & will report back here...

deef

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
well 11 days later & VueScan hasn't replied...not encouraging

I have the same scanner and just downloaded VueScan trial today -- so far the scanner shows up in System Profiler but VueScan doesn't recognize it, even though the VS website lists it as supported. I've e-mailed the developer & will report back here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.