Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Hello,

I have a big task at work. My task is to transfer our slide library into digital images.

I have some major considerations for this task. First, the images need to be as good as the original slides. Second, I don't have time to individually correct each digital image.

I am using a Nikon slide scanner and a PC with a bad monitor. I have access to a flatbed scanner, cinema display, and a new powermac.

The final digital images will be projected for lectures. I would like the projected images to be similar or better than slide projector images.

Our digital projector is not of the best quality. So far, the digital images are turning out blurry and the wrong color.

I would appreciate any help. I am looking for the easiest and best solution.

Thanks.:apple:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Well,

first to the scanner - you don't mention which one you exactly use but as far as I know the only scanner that scans slides from a cartridge (or whatever that is called in english) is a the Reflecta DigitDia 5000.

second - the best software on the market is called silverfast - find it at silverfast.com. Being the best software doesn't mean that it is really good. In fact - I hate it but you won't find a better one.

third - to get a good projection you must have a good projector. So - buy a new one.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
i concur, there is no way to expect good quality projections from a poor quality projector. just won't happen, sorry.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Yes, a good digital projector is going to be purchased soon. We have all the fun budget stuff to work on.

So, that is settled then. A new projector is a must.

How about color correction? I don't want to spend all day fussing with curves in photoshop.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Does the projector have a color profile attached to it? Can you assign that color profile to the final images?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I don't think the projector has anything other than an on or off button.

You cannot trust the scanner with the colors. Usually you can calibrate it with a IT 8 calibration. But still you have to color correct. Therefore it is necessary to correct your monitor as well. I recommand the pantone huey for that.

And to add something here: it is work ! How many slides do you have ?

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I've had decent result with an (old) Canon scanner combined with vuescan software. This must be the only software that supports most old models. And it's still being developed.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello,

I have a big task at work. My task is to transfer our slide library into digital images.

I have some major considerations for this task. First, the images need to be as good as the original slides. Second, I don't have time to individually correct each digital image.

I am using a Nikon slide scanner and a PC with a bad monitor. I have access to a flatbed scanner, cinema display, and a new powermac.

The final digital images will be projected for lectures. I would like the projected images to be similar or better than slide projector images.

Our digital projector is not of the best quality. So far, the digital images are turning out blurry and the wrong color.

I would appreciate any help. I am looking for the easiest and best solution.

Thanks.:apple:

I'm not surprised at your result. You will have to invest in some good (and expensive) equipment. You will need training in color managed workflows and some calibration equipment for your monitor, scanner and projector. Yes yu can "wing it" but you will get blurry, wrong color images.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm slowly converting a large catalog of film (all types, 35mm, medium format, color and black and white negs and transparencies) Maybe I have 12,000 images to convert, possibly more.
Here is what i've learned so far.

It is very, very time consumming. At best I can work at the rate of four minutes per image. Yes, my scanner does batches but every strip of film must be removed from the plastic sleave, placed in the scanner and then replaced in the plastic. I usecompressed air on each image to blow off dust. Also there is always some work required in Photoshop to color balance and remove whatever dust is still on the image after cleaning and automatic dusting. To get to the four minute rate you have to be able to do multiple things at once, scan, clean, organize and photoshop. So that is 15 images per hour. Let's say your emplyer pays you minimum wage of $7.50 per hour. That means he is payng about $0.50 per slide. (Actually I hope he is paying more.)

A cheaper way is to pay a commercial service to do the scans for you. They have better equipment that you can't afford and will work for $0.25 per slide. Just pack everything in a box and ship it out.

Now back to your quality requirements. How good are the slides? Are they studio quality, professionally made or were they shot with a cheap $20 hand held camera? Let's assume a middle ground. You will have to scan the slides at about 3,000 DPI to capture all the detail in an amateur grade slide (maybe 4,000 if the quality is very good) What this means is that the image files will be roughly 3,000 pixels tall by 4,500 pixels wide.

Now your digital projector is going to have some problem. No one makes a projector that can come close to showing a 4,500 x 3,000 pixel image so you will need to down sample the images to at least what a 1080p HD projector can handle. The problem is that the best digital projectors are not equal to the best optical film based projectors. That said, it can still look good but it will take some effort in Photoshop to clean up each slide

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I'm not surprised at your result. .....The problem is that the best digital projectors are not equal to the best optical film based projectors. That said, it can still look good but it will take some effort in Photoshop to clean up each slide

I second everything you said. I like to add that the Reflecta Digit Dia 5000 can scan up to 100 slides in a row from a magazine and is as far as I know the only magazine scanner available.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I'd suggest passing that task onto some pros. They'll do it easier, faster, and cheaper than buying piles of new equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.