Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I find it strange that Apple lets you schedule NightShift, which is designed to reduce the harsh light on your eyes, but they won't let you schedule Dark mode, which is far more efficient at reducing harsh light at night, and it doesn't change the color of your content (which is a huge problem if you're working with color correction).

There is a simple AppleScript command that lets you toggle between light/dark mode, I guess I could somehow schedule that to run twice a day. But I've noticed that when switching between dark and light mode in System Preferences, there's a nice smooth transition from one to another. When you do it with the script, there's an abrupt jump between the two, and no transition.

I wonder if there's a way to somehow make use of that smooth animation that Apple is using in System Preferences. I know it sounds silly but if this is going to happen twice a day, I'd rather it look smooth than some kind of glitch.

Is there a 3rd party app for this? Or a way to use AppleScript to use the animation?

Thanks!

Reactions: Darajavahus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.