Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
I've moved home to an area that necessitates expensive satellite broadband and would like to be able to schedule major downloads during the night hours when download usage is unlimited. Does anyone know of apps that will allow scheduling of downloads from the App Store e.g. GarageBand which is included in my purchases but not installed on my current machine, El Capitan updates and other software downloads from developers pages? Much appreciated.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
If you're comfortable working in Terminal you can use the macOS softwareupdate command to download updates and run it from either cron or launchd so that it runs at a set time. I've never used softwareupdate so I don't know if it has issues, but it has been around for a while. Search for softwareupdate online and see if it could work for you.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I used iGetter One winter with Hughes Net. Hope I never have to use them again, but iGetter did do a good job but that was before the Mac App Store. It's free so you can try and see if they have updated it to take care of the MAS downloads.

presenta

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
Bulgaria (EU)

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
You may need to SysPref - App Store, and check the boxes you want accordingly (Automatically Check for Updates, and Download in background, for example)

Also, make a point to check these after OS updates - they've been known to be reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.