Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I use multiple desktop "spaces" for various tasks. Mostly Firefox browser windows.
Sometimes I use the MBP standalone, and sometimes I plug it into an external monitor (in extend mode)
Whenever I plug or unplugs, my applications windows get all shuffled up.
Is there any way to "lock" them to a particular space or control them better?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I gave up trying to identify a pattern for this behavior in Monterey. If I encountered a real problem on a regular basis, it might be worth trying to understand it and try to make it do what I want. It should just work, like when it first came out. But things seem to jump around now.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, you can find things in the Dock. The annoying thing is that apps don't come up in the Space assigned with consistency. It seemed like once an app moved itself(?) to a different Space, then it would just keep hopping around. I should work with it more to document what happens.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Something that was suggested to me is to rt-click the app in the dock and choose options>assign to....
I will have to experiment with this ...

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
i'm not noticing any weird behavior with spaces. I plug my MBP (clamshell mode) into a Dock with two monitors. When I do that, the Spaces that represented the laptop monitor go onto the main monitor and nothing gets rearranged. Go into System Preferences -> Mission Control. UNCHECK the "Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use" and CHECK the "Displays have separate spaces" options. Does that make things better for you? I also have "Group Windows by application" OFF.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I plug my MBP (clamshell mode) into a Dock
Good for you. As stated, that is not my case.

UNCHECK the "Automatically rearrange Spaces
already was. Even if it was ... this rearranges spaces in their entirety. Not windows within a space.

CHECK the "Displays have separate spaces" options
It was. that's the whole point of using a 2nd monitor in extended mode.

I also have "Group Windows by application" OFF.
as do I

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.