Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2007
My wife is doing scrapbooks and has bought a papercutter from Pazzles
http://www.pazzles.com/
This one does not work with Mac, and the only way of getting it to work is probably by using an emulator.

Has anyone here done this already, or knows the best way of getting this to work on a iMac G5 ?

CNewhart2222

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Mac + Pazzles + Mac "One on One" service

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a Pazzles. I am currently on a PowerBook G4,
and regular G5 which I have learned won't work with the Pazzles cutter.

Hopefully, together, we can figure this all out quickly. I am sure your wife is anxious to get the cutter up and running so she can do creative things with it.

I have been doing research, and will try to keep you updated as I learn, and ask that you do the same for me.

So far this is what I know:
Only the newer MacBooks with an Intel processor and the ability to run "Windows Xp" or "Vista" will work with the Pazzles. FYI: Vista has had a lot of problems and just a few days ago a Vista SP (?) program was released that supposedly fixes most of the problems with it. I learned this from a head computer guy at Best Buy the other day.

Many people I have communicated with are very happy with Vista.
Obviously, from reading the posts online, many are also unhappy.

BACK TO PAZZLES AND MAC....
It appears that I will need a program from Apple called BootCamp, or Fusion, or Parallels. I think BootCamp comes with the newer MacBooks.

It appears that I need to buy a new MacBook Pro that will easily run Pazzles and also use my existing software.

A GOOD 'MAC' INVESTMENT (FOR ME - maybe your wife, too)
I am going to spend $100 to buy the "One on One" service from Apple.
That way, they will spend time with me one on one, teaching me WHATEVER I NEED to know. I think this is good for 1 year from date of purchase.

My regular email is catherinenewhart@yahoo.com. It would be easier for me to continue with this communication if we wrote each other there.

Catherine Newhart

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
BACK TO PAZZLES AND MAC....
It appears that I will need a program from Apple called BootCamp, or Fusion, or Parallels. I think BootCamp comes with the newer MacBooks.

It appears that I need to buy a new MacBook Pro that will easily run Pazzles and also use my existing software.

Bootcamp is a part of Leopard, so all new Macs should have it. Fusion and Parallels will cost money. In addition, you will need a copy of Windows XP (or Vista) and that also costs money.

I'm never one to suggest a Windows machine, but sometimes it's more cost effective to just get a cheapo WinPC to run special software/hardware. If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a decent PC for a couple hundred bucks. Sometimes, your workplace might give them away as they clean up their IT supplies.

ft

CNewhart2222

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
PAZZLES & MAC vs PC MODEL? PROGRAMS?

Hello and Thanks for your reply. Do you have a PC model in mind?
If so, I will do research and see if I can find that model and year.

Here are my concerns.

I am an artist and inventor creating small, delicate design patterns & a kit
I currently use and am comptenent on Mac PhotoShop CS3 Master Suite
I will be doing a lot of highly detailed drawing for the Pazzles.

The machine states it requires "Windows XP WITH upgrades" or "Vista"

I am NOT familiar with PC commands and details
I would have to buy PhotoShop software (=$$$) or a DIFFERENT NEW PC drawing program which would mean a new, long(?) learning curve

I am under a fairly tight deadline....

CNewhart2222

Sandi

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
Crossover

Hello everyone!
I am using new Intel Mac and OS X and so far I love it. The only thing is that I use a lot of obscure programs that often don't have a MAC version. BUT! I have found a program that I love and think might work here. It's called Crossover: http://www.codeweavers.com/ and it's only $60. What is does, it simulate the windows environment by translating the commands from the program to the mac os. It doesn't work with every program, but it has worked with most of the programs that I've tried.

I have a friend that owns a pazzles so, I am going to ask her if I can borrow it and see if it will work using this program. I am very interested in getting a Pazzles for me too!

I'll let you know what I find out soon!
Sandi

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I would have to buy PhotoShop software (=$$$) or a DIFFERENT NEW PC drawing program which would mean a new, long(?) learning curve

I am under a fairly tight deadline....

CNewhart2222

I don't know how this thing works, but couldn't you simply transfer a drawing from the Mac to a PC with this thing hooked up? Surely the driver for this thing isn't a PS plug-in?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Hello everyone!
I am using new Intel Mac and OS X and so far I love it. The only thing is that I use a lot of obscure programs that often don't have a MAC version. BUT! I have found a program that I love and think might work here. It's called Crossover: http://www.codeweavers.com/ and it's only $60. What is does, it simulate the windows environment by translating the commands from the program to the mac os. It doesn't work with every program, but it has worked with most of the programs that I've tried.

I have a friend that owns a pazzles so, I am going to ask her if I can borrow it and see if it will work using this program. I am very interested in getting a Pazzles for me too!

I'll let you know what I find out soon!
Sandi

Please refrain from advertising or referring products until you're established. Right now you're in my book as a spammer.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Please refrain from advertising or referring products until you're established. Right now you're in my book as a spammer.

Actually, Crossover is a pretty-good alternative to purchasing a copy of Windows. It's a supported WINE port- so it may not work well for something that needs drivers, but it could be well-worth a trial, as it's a lot cheaper than a copy of XP or Vista. If I didn't think the driver issues for the product sound like they're not all over the board for Windows, I'd probably have recommended it as a potential solution.

[IOW, the post was on topic, on point and the recommendation was well-within the poster's requirements, plus it was hardly a ringing endorsement and came with an offer to see if it'd work, that's hardly spammer behavior.]

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Actually, Crossover is a pretty-good alternative to purchasing a copy of Windows. It's a supported WINE port- so it may not work well for something that needs drivers, but it could be well-worth a trial, as it's a lot cheaper than a copy of XP or Vista. If I didn't think the driver issues for the product sound like they're not all over the board for Windows, I'd probably have recommended it as a potential solution.

There's a distinct difference to you recommending it and someone else as one of their first posts. More below.

[IOW, the post was on topic, on point and the recommendation was well-within the poster's requirements, plus it was hardly a ringing endorsement and came with an offer to see if it'd work, that's hardly spammer behavior.]

I'm tired of seeing first posts being advertisements for a product. I realize many are drawn to the forum to help out once and recommend something, but I'm cynical, and I suspect advertising more often than a benign suggestion. It's particularly suspicious when the "recommendation" seems to have modular portions (surrounded by relevant info).

I'd love to see first posts in the "newb" sections, just to prove that it's a real person behind the next post. Some checking on "Sandi" shows she has an "IMAC" and her listed website is a company's website… albeit related to scrapbooking. So, Sandi, sorry to be… well… so suspicious, but are you real?

Sandi

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
Definitely Real

Just because I'm new doesn't mean I'm unethical. I was posting a recommendation to a product that I have absolutely no ties to and that I found extremely useful. I have a two sites: a scrapbooking one which is my hobby and a web design site (which is my company site). The reason I found crossover to be so great was that I needed to verify my web designs were good on Internet Explorer which doesn't run on MAC. So, I found crossover that kept me from delving back to the Windows world, but still allowed me to ensure my site could be seen by IE users.

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
No offense intended, but how does any of this thread have anything to do with Digital Photog?

I'm all up for supporting a Mac user but is this in the right place?

:confused::confused::confused:

Driver

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Rollingwood, Tx
Well he is talking about cutting out images, but yeah it should more likely be in a area more speciic with plotters and printers.

You have two choices, get a WinPC, I have one for less than 100 that would do the job, DON"T spend several hundred when old 1 ghz stuff is being thrown out left and right. OR second, Your G5 WILL NOT do the job. It cannot run Windows. Take the opportunity to upgrade to a Intel macMini or better and run BootCamp.

I'd pick the 2nd :apple:ption, why do you think I have a old WinPC I'm essentially tossing out. :rolleyes:

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Just because I'm new doesn't mean I'm unethical.

That grossly oversimplifies my statement. Your 1st post ever on this forum was one advertising a product; you had sparse profile information, part of which was a link to a business website (if you look me up I link to my business as well). My previous experience led me to doubt your intentions. I apologize.

I don't run around accusing "newbies" of being "unethical" because of their (lack of) tenure. Please don't insinuate that I do. (Not to mention, I'm not sure I'd equate spamming with, say, plagiarism. Unethical is a strong word.)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
There's a distinct difference to you recommending it and someone else as one of their first posts. More below.

Oh, I totally get where you're coming from. I was just trying to impart the fact that I thought it was a good answer- I went back and added the parenthetical because I realized I hadn't done a good job at that the first go around.

The post count is in fora to give you an idea of the "community time" someone has, and many people really don't have a good way to evaluate outside of that. However, one thing we should try to keep in mind is that many new posters have years of experience in what they're posting about, and that impacts their answers more than posting counts.

I remember one of the first posts I did on Nikongear was an answer that advocated a product, and I felt icky and had to put in the fact that I wasn't a spammer and I even thought it was suspect- but it wasn't, it was simply a recommendation for something that I had purchased and liked. If I'd been drummed out for it, I'd have understood and probably never gone back (not that I spend a lot of time there now.) I think you have to be careful about the fine line between calling out folk who abuse the community and folks who are going to contribute helpful answers from the start.

Anyway, I totally get your reaction and if I hadn't had a bunch of experience with WINE and CrossOver Office, I might have thought the same thing. I don't know why all these folks aren' pelting the manufacturer to hire someone to do some Mac drivers as well as looking for alternatives, but the site doesn't have Mac compatibility as a FAQ (not that its FAQs are filled out at all) and that to me says "too few customer complaints to worry about it."

Moderneart

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Pazzles + Mac

I'm a long time Mac user needing to purchase a cutting machine. Does Pazzles software require photoshop to run, or just a jpeg or similar image? My thinking is that one could create files on their Mac, then transfer the file to a PC via email. If the Pazzles software can use the file directly from the PC then one should be able to avoid having to purchase a second copy of Photoshop.

Also, the Mac website says all the "new" Macs can run Bootcamp, using OS10. Just how new -Which model Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.