Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
I'm the most diligent person when in comes down to gadgets.

I've had my iphone 11 for 3.5 months and noticed a line on the camera bump today.

At first it looked like a hair under the bump, as it seems under the surface.
I tried wiping it, cleaning it but no it has to be a mark on the surface.

I'm surprised as I keep my phone face down at work and always in my jeans on its own (no keys).

I'm annoyed as hell and surprised as I don't recall any event which might've lead to a scratch, if it really is a scratch.

Just a rant :)

Attachments

• F62807AB-70FB-4048-BBC0-EB6B301C9A39.jpeg
    F62807AB-70FB-4048-BBC0-EB6B301C9A39.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7,410

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It happens. The camera lens has a sapphire coating, but that doesn’t mean it’s impervious to scratches either. If it doesn’t affect your photo outcome, then I wouldn’t be concerned with it otherwise.

But in terms of what can scratch it, realistically anything, even debris/grit in your pocket that you may not be aware of could’ve scratched the camera lens cover.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
This is why I prefer the flush cameras found on the older devices, as when in a case nothing’s going to scratch them easily.

However the modern tech requires the increase in size, but a increase in depth would solve this, and you could get even better battery life!

Perhaps when and if they return to the squared edge design the protruding camera will be a thing of the past.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Thanks, luckily lenses are unaffected.
I'm thinking of using sticker to cover it, being OCD doesn't help either.
I suppose the apple store wouldn't cover this and there's anything they can do in terms of repair, even under payment right?

Best!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
the case should protect it if its thicker than the camera lens, right?

Why would that matter if the OP carries the phone in the pocket where grit/debris can come in contact with the camera lens cover? [That’s just one scenario of many where a case wouldn’t make a difference in that situation.]

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
I suppose the apple store wouldn't cover this and there's anything they can do in terms of repair, even under payment right?

Best!
Right.
If u don’t count the ridiculous backcover replacement for $399

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
It happens. The camera lens has a sapphire coating, but that doesn’t mean it’s impervious to scratches either. If it doesn’t affect your photo outcome, then I wouldn’t be concerned with it otherwise.

But in terms of what can scratch it, realistically anything, even debris/grit in your pocket that you may not be aware of could’ve scratched the camera lens cover.

The sapphire glass is only on the lens glass covers (the circular glass), not the entire camera bump which has the same Gorilla glass as the rest of the phone back.

Reactions: _karrol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.