Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lemc0117

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Hello,

I just noticed my new Macbookpro 16, have a small scratch (2 cm) in one of the borders,

Do you guys consider I have to return this machine because of that? i bought it online from other country and, for me if i choose to return, I have to pay 130.00 USD of shipping to the USA, I just want to know your opinion, because paying that money for this kind of products, we expect to have all "perfect"

The other question is, about speakers, i read a lot of very good reviews about the sound quality of this machine, mine, at 50% volume level sounds great, but when i turn up the volume to 80 or 100%, the bass decrease, you guys have the same? or is that an issue (because if it is, i think deserve to pay the money and return the machine for a replacement)

IMG_20200918_231813__01.jpg

IMG_20200918_144100__01.jpg

Thanks!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I need you on my quality assurance team! You are amazing.
For me: I would not return. The bass does decrease as the volume increases, but still sounds impressive for such a small package. It is not going to compare to your home speakers at 1000+ watts.

Dutchie91

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
If everything else is oke, personally I would keep it... Personally I would not have noticed that scratch in the beginning haha. But props for you checking so good.

Keep us posted what you decide on!

StraightHit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2020
I would not, because I have had 3 replacement MacBook Pros. All new and US models each with different issues. You must remember that the MacBook Pro has thousands of components in it from hundreds of different suppliers. More will go wrong with the MacBook Pro manufacturing process then say iPhone just because the laptop is way more complex. Each one had its own problem and with the third I just accepted it.

StraightHit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2020
I mean yeah but I can understand OP's frustration... this is not a $300 Dell laptop, which in theory could arrive undefect unlike a $2000 MacBook Pro

Australianapplefan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2019
Australia
I would be pissed mate get onto Apple support and send it back get a replacement. I’m ocd I like things to be perfect especially brand new Apple product. i second that let us know what u decide

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
If you use it off your desk at all...ie carry it around, pretty soon you will have other scratches. If everything works, I’d keep it. But I worry more about how things work than look.

lemc0117

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
I need you on my quality assurance team! You are amazing.
For me: I would not return. The bass does decrease as the volume increases, but still sounds impressive for such a small package. It is not going to compare to your home speakers at 1000+ watts.

Hire me, i would be happy to detect products in order to avoid having perfectionist costumers like me in these situations ?

About speakers, i searched a lot but nobody says something about the bass at the volume at 100%, so i dont know if is a problem or all Macbooks pro 16 are like that...

If everything else is oke, personally I would keep it... Personally I would not have noticed that scratch in the beginning haha. But props for you checking so good.

Keep us posted what you decide on!

In my case, if i return the machine i have to pay 130 usd to send it back to USA, and, this screen also arrived perfect (no screenbleed) that is other of my nightmares, and the manufacture date is very recent, so, basically is the small scratch and my question of the bass at 100% volume level, that im still not clear if is a problem or if all Macbooks pro 16 are like that

I would not, because I have had 3 replacement MacBook Pros. All new and US models each with different issues. You must remember that the MacBook Pro has thousands of components in it from hundreds of different suppliers. More will go wrong with the MacBook Pro manufacturing process then say iPhone just because the laptop is way more complex. Each one had its own problem and with the third I just accepted it.

That is a risk for me, if i return this one paying shipping of 130 usd and the new one arrive with other defect, i would cry, im still thinking

Sir, you have an eagle eye.
being a perfectionist in this kind of inspections sometimes bring headaches o_O

I mean yeah but I can understand OP's frustration... this is not a $300 Dell laptop, which in theory could arrive undefect unlike a $2000 MacBook Pro
Actually i switched from Asus and HP because other defects on manufacture with the thought of, ¨is an Apple, theres noth chance to go wrong with Apple¨:confused:

If you use it off your desk at all...ie carry it around, pretty soon you will have other scratches. If everything works, I’d keep it. But I worry more about how things work than look.
Yeah, i got your point, but, is an almost 3k machine, and should come ¨perfect¨ but, it seems perfection is a lottery in this kind of stuff...

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Hire me, i would be happy to detect products in order to avoid having perfectionist costumers like me in these situations ?

About speakers, i searched a lot but nobody says something about the bass at the volume at 100%, so i dont know if is a problem or all Macbooks pro 16 are like that...

Sorry, no harm meant but I had to laugh at the irony in your post. You wanted to be hired to detect imperfections because you're a perfectionist but you misspelled "Customers". ?

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
In my case, if i return the machine i have to pay 130 usd to send it back to USA, and, this screen also arrived perfect (no screenbleed) that is other of my nightmares, and the manufacture date is very recent, so, basically is the small scratch and my question of the bass at 100% volume level, that im still not clear if is a problem or if all Macbooks pro 16 are like that
There's nothing wrong with your speakers. The bass has to react that way. Notice how thin the MacBook Pro is. High bass speakers on loud volumes would require a much bigger speaker and a thicker body design. I have the 16" so that's why I know yours is fine. Bass works on a very low frequency. Raising volumes will result in clipping if the bass doesn't reduce as the volume gets much louder.

lemc0117

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Sorry, no harm meant but I had to laugh at the irony in your post. You wanted to be hired to detect imperfections because you're a perfectionist but you misspelled "Customers". ?
Hahaha its ok, no worries,

you know, paying almost 3k for something and with imperfections, is sad, actually if is a possible resell in the future, things like that could decrease the reselling value or something...

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I would not personally return it for the physical imperfection if everything else operates perfectly...you might find yourself getting a replacement that has a functional issue, and then having to shell out another $130 and wait who knows how long. Plus you'd potentially have to spend hours setting everything back up. It looks to be a minor tooling mark.

These machines, while having a high standard in the fit and finish category, are generally NOT 100% perfect if you scrutinize them. For example, my spacebar wobbles quite a bit more than other 16's I've played with. Although it does not affect function, it's definitely an imperfection. That said, the computer also has an extremely strong CPU that benchmarks about 10% higher in single core performance than the baseline of other identical machines and the remaining fit and finish is about flawless with a minor imperfection in the speaker grille. At the end of the day, these are electronic devices and not works of art, and chances are over the time you own the system it will see other cosmetic imperfections occur as an outcome of use.

As others have noted, the speakers reducing bass is normal...presumably to protect the speaker system from distortion and/or physical damage.

Reactions: lemc0117

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Hahaha its ok, no worries,

you know, paying almost 3k for something and with imperfections, is sad, actually if is a possible resell in the future, things like that could decrease the reselling value or something...
Your thinking is way off buddy. When people are buying second hand computers they are not shopping for "perfect condition" nor are they shopping for specs. They are shopping for price, period. This whole thing about resell value is a waste of time. Being concerned about that means you're more interested in the next owner's pleasure and enjoyment of the computer over your own. Just enjoy your computer and use it. And let's be real about it, you likely WILL scratch, dent or cause some sort of minor cosmetic damage during ownership.

Furthermore I hope you realize there are thousands of $100K USD cars that have some sort of cosmetic imperfections straight from the factory. It's very common. To expect a $3k computer to be perfect when $100k cars aren't is expecting the impossible TBH.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Your thinking is way off buddy. When people are buying second hand computers they are not shopping for "perfect condition" nor are they shopping for specs. They are shopping for price, period. This whole thing about resell value is a waste of time. Being concerned about that means you're more interested in the next owner's pleasure and enjoyment of the computer over your own. Just enjoy your computer and use it. And let's be real about it, you likely WILL scratch, dent or cause some sort of minor cosmetic damage during ownership.

Furthermore I hope you realize there are thousands of $100K USD cars that have some sort of cosmetic imperfections straight from the factory. It's very common. To expect a $3k computer to be perfect when $100k cars aren't is expecting the impossible TBH.
Good points. My $100K Tesla had a few issues. So did the $80K BMW that proceeded it. It had a number of rattles. BMW could not fix them. One I fixed required me to put my head under the dash and feet out sunroof while my wife drove down the road. Hard to tighten the mount on the blower fan.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Hire me, i would be happy to detect products in order to avoid having perfectionist costumers like me in these situations
And yet you ignore the proper identification for your device. There is no 2020 MBP, it's a 2019...

kakaa

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2021
So I just got myself a 13” MacBook Pro yesterday, and noticed a scratch at the pretty much same spot as yours! I was wondering did you customize your laptop? I’m guess this happened during customization??
8CFE9EC6-2C20-4B88-AD61-BC03DF53F951.jpeg

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I’m guess this happened during customization?
Not likely. The "customization" is just different parts on the logic board as everything is soldered. It's a flaw in the topcase or damage that was done during build. Was yours new or refurbished?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.