Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I just bought an iPhone XS Max space grey recently. After a few weeks of normal use even with Apple leather case, my phone still got hairline scratches at the buttom of the bezel. This annoyed me a lot, especially the iPhone is quite expensive. I can’t imagine the bezel got scratched so easily.

I tried using a black marker to conceal the scratch, but it was unsuccessful.

Any ideas to remove/conceal/polish scratches on the space grey PVD coating on the bezel? Or do I need an Apple Care?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Any ideas to remove/conceal/polish scratches on the space grey PVD coating on the bezel?

Due to the PVD coating, there is nothing you can do without the tarnishing it. There are polishing cloths available, but again, that’s a risk I wouldn’t take, because it will disfigure the PVD coating.

Not trying to be rude, but it scratched, Accept it. Phones inevitably will scratch when we use them on a daily basis.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
The bottom of the leather case is exposed anyway, you shouldn't be surprised at all that it has got scratches. All depends on where you've been keeping and putting your phone.

You could try those stainless steel polishing creams. They work for the silver iPhone but no one has tried it for the colored ones. In my opinion the coating is thick enough so that it won't fall off within the first couple of polishes.

Let us know if you're going to try it.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I would suggest being very careful using an abrasive to remove the scratches.

Do not think Apple will help as it is all cosmetic.

Anyone tried using cape cod polishing cloth to polish the space grey PVD coating on the iPhone?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Anyone tried using cape cod polishing cloth to polish the space grey PVD coating on the iPhone?

Why would anyone try that? The ramifications are already what was stated, it will remove the PVD coating, and will not remove the scratch either. Again, it will tarnish the coating, because the cloth is abrasive.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Nothing you can do about it OP. As mentioned above, absolutely do not use any type of stainless steel polish on it as it will really screw it up.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Why would anyone try that? The ramifications are already what was stated, it will remove the PVD coating, and will not remove the scratch either. Again, it will tarnish the coating, because the cloth is abrasive.
absolutely do not use any type of stainless steel polish on it as it will really screw it up.
Thank you, both of you. I will just leave the scratch alone without polishing it. Anyway, if anyone has something to share on this issue, feel free to give us an effective suggestion.

Luigi_S

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2017
Thank you, both of you. I will just leave the scratch alone without polishing it. Anyway, if anyone has something to share on this issue, feel free to give us an effective suggestion.

I take it the silver XS is better?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Sorry to hear OP.
Have not had the scratching issues with my X, which I presume is the same coating as on the XS

But I looked into this before I got the X (choosing between silver and black)...essentially the PVD coating is more scratch proof than the natural stainless steel however the silver model is just pure stainless steel so can be polished out with ease using cheap polishers. Cannot do the same to the space grey without ruining the PVD coating.

Im one of those people who scratches do not bug at all, unless they are glaringly in the middle of my screen, other wise for the body of the device I don't care.

If it bugs you try putting on a skin or case to "put it out of sight and thus out of mind"

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry to hear OP.
Have not had the scratching issues with my X, which I presume is the same coating as on the XS

But I looked into this before I got the X (choosing between silver and black)...essentially the PVD coating is more scratch proof than the natural stainless steel however the silver model is just pure stainless steel so can be polished out with ease using cheap polishers. Cannot do the same to the space grey without ruining the PVD coating.

Im one of those people who scratches do not bug at all, unless they are glaringly in the middle of my screen, other wise for the body of the device I don't care.

If it bugs you try putting on a skin or case to "put it out of sight and thus out of mind"

Thank you for sharing your view.

Same as you, I am confident at the PVD coating. But, it can still get scratches pretty easily, but less easily than silver band. So I suggest not to use the original Apple iPhone case which opens up the buttom and attracts potential scratches.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I'
Nothing you can do about it OP. As mentioned above, absolutely do not use any type of stainless steel polish on it as it will really screw it up.

Ahh that remembers me my old V8, full of scratches so i polished and ended even worst.

motorola-razr2-v8-mp3-bluetooth-sms-radio-fm-cam-2mp-D_NQ_NP_737630-MLM27067865633_032018-F.jpg

The night before last night i just found a tiny scratch on the display of my ipad pro 10.5 i can't live with that!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I take it the silver XS is better?

Depends how you define ‘better’, in terms of scratch resistant, it is not. It Does scratch relatively easily, but a polishing cloth or even Autosol will remove any fine scratches without much effort.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I'

Ahh that remembers me my old V8, full of scratches so i polished and ended even worst.

motorola-razr2-v8-mp3-bluetooth-sms-radio-fm-cam-2mp-D_NQ_NP_737630-MLM27067865633_032018-F.jpg

The night before last night i just found a tiny scratch on the display of my ipad pro 10.5 i can't live with that!!

What a pity! A tiny scratch on the iPad display is actually quite annoying.
[doublepost=1549242504][/doublepost]
Depends how you define ‘better’, in terms of scratch resistant, it is not. It Does scratch relatively easily, but a polishing cloth or even Autosol will remove any fine scratches without much effort.

You are correct. In that sense, I would prefer silver band, since scratches are easily removed by polishing. It’s reversible.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
The anodized aluminum of the XR is even better. :D
I agreed. I just picked up my old iPhone 7 plus (matte black). It is very light and thin. Most importantly, the aluminum casing makes it more durable than the scratchable PVD coating on stainless steel.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
The glass isn't as abrasion resistant as it should be. I found 3 hairline scratches on the back and the front after 2 days. I didn't drop it and I was babying it the whole time. Even then it still ended up w/ micro-scratches. Immediately returned it and got another one and slapped it in a case and put a glass protector on top.

The pvc coating is holding up for now, but I'm not gonna leave it to chance.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
What does PVD coating mean? Are y’all talking about the gray paint on the bezel?

That’s one thing that worries me about space gray.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What does PVD coating mean?

‘Physical vapor deposition coating’ (PVD). It’s a protective layer around the bands that helps prevent minor scuffs and scratches. It’s commonly used on firearm slides to protect against minor damage.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
‘Physical vapor deposition coating’ (PVD). It’s a protective layer around the bands that helps prevent minor scuffs and scratches. It’s commonly used on firearm slides to protect against minor damage.

Ohhh I see. So there’s a PVD on the space gray?

Doesn’t seem to work to well bc my last iPhone X had some scratches on the band.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ohhh I see. So there’s a PVD on the space gray?.

Correct. On the space gray bands, there is a coating that surrounds them, which is the protectant that I was mentioning. The regular stainless bands on the silver model, does not have the PVD coating.

Last edited:

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
The glass isn't as abrasion resistant as it should be. I found 3 hairline scratches on the back and the front after 2 days. I didn't drop it and I was babying it the whole time. Even then it still ended up w/ micro-scratches. Immediately returned it and got another one and slapped it in a case and put a glass protector on top.

The pvc coating is holding up for now, but I'm not gonna leave it to chance.

I regret to learn that even the glass on your iPhone had micro-scratches. It’s not as durable as aluminum casing of precious iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.