Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Question on Screen Time. I have it set for my daughters ipad and phone to only allow 2 hours of use on school days, and unlimited on weekends. I have a custom schedule set (12,2,2,2,2,2,12) and I set it for All Apps & Categories. However, there are certain cases where I want to allow exceptions (snow day, school holiday). So, what happens now is if it’s a Monday and a snow day, and she’s not in school, and I didn’t think about it ahead of time, she hits her two hour time limit soon in the morning and it locks her out of all the apps as I had set up. But when she goes to request more time, she has to ask for more time one app at a time. Isn’t there a way I can approve more time for “All Apps & Categories” all at once, so the entire iPad can be used for the additional time I approve? I can’t honestly believe Apple didn’t think of this, and I’m assuming I’m just missing it somehow. Am I wrong?

Reactions: bydandie

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
That’s a good question. I’m wondering the same thing as I do the same thing for my daughter for her iPad and phone.

Glad I'm not the only one who's run into this. And I can't seem to find a way to temporarily disable the Screen Time for that day either. I either have to turn it completely off, which erases all my content/restriction settings, and then I have to reset everything back up after that day. Or, I can go into the custom setting, and change the 2 hours on the Monday to be a different hour limit (bump it up to 12+ like the Sat/Sun allowance), but then I have to remember to go back and change it back after that Monday, otherwise all Mondays will stay like that.

So far, the concept seems to be a good one, but the execution seems to be lacking a bit (which is very un-Apple like).

bydandie

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2009
Nope, it’s not been well though out. They really need to try Circle by Disney first and then make it as good as that

My Precious

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Nope, it’s not been well though out. They really need to try Circle by Disney first and then make it as good as that

Yep. I’m genrerally dissatisfied with IOS screen time parental controls too.

Speaking of Circle, since IOS 12.1.2 I’ve had non-stop problems with CircleGo, can’t measure screen time correctly. Their tech support hasn’t been helpful, and Apple claims to have no insight. It’s like IOS screen time and Circle by Disney don’t mix.

I want a 1-hour limit on YouTube, but two hours later Circle says just 20 minutes have been on YouTube. When CircleGo is on, IOS screen time also can’t measure YouTube time correctly. Appears my only option is to end CircleGo, and just be stuck with these poor IOS parental controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.