Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KathyArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
Screen Burned , my screen was burned by hair a hair dryer , the screen had a big black spot where it was burned but it went away now it looks all creased ? Is it even possible to have this fixed ? I can’t find anyone else online that has even had a similar problem. It’s an iPad Pro 11 inch

Attachments

• 59A84CCC-8C45-4002-A6B9-8E4B1E8BC101.jpeg
    59A84CCC-8C45-4002-A6B9-8E4B1E8BC101.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 1,009

KathyArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
I agree. However, not everyone can do that.
Thanks for your help! I’m in Ireland and we don’t have Apple stores just “premium apple retailers” so it’s a weird system. It was refurbished and I didn’t get apple care, so I don’t know what they are gonna quote me!

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for your help! I’m in Ireland and we don’t have Apple stores just “premium apple retailers” so it’s a weird system. It was refurbished and I didn’t get apple care, so I don’t know what they are gonna quote me!

Not sure if I'm missing any but it seems as though your options are to find a third party repair shop and inquire about an estimated cost to replace the display, pay Apple the out of warranty service fee (since damage was accidental) of € 541.30 (see https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ipad/repair/service ), buy a new ipad or live with the defect.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Screen Burned , my screen was burned by hair a hair dryer , the screen had a big black spot where it was burned but it went away now it looks all creased ? Is it even possible to have this fixed ? I can’t find anyone else online that has even had a similar problem. It’s an iPad Pro 11 inch
May I ask how the hairdryer was able to burn your iPad? 🤔

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2017
May I ask how the hairdryer was able to burn your iPad? ?
iPad probably tried to warm up a little in these cold days, or tried to dry hers hair.

Jokes aside, the screen is ****ed. Only options it to replace it by the Apple/or Apple service partner.
In my country (Scandinavia) probably home insurance might cover something. (Depending how it happened)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I totally thought this thread was about image burn-in, like OLED displays are sometimes susceptible to. I never thought it would be about an external heat source actually burning the screen!

Sorry about your iPad, but props for subverting my expectations! ?

KathyArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
May I ask how the hairdryer was able to burn your iPad? ?
Sooo, I had my iPad on my lap as I always do when I dry my hair, and currently have right now. I have very long hair takes about 35 mins so I always watch something on my iPad. My Mam came to the door and was telling me something I didn’t turn off the hair dryer and didn’t realise I was pointing it right at the screen and then looked down to see the screen went all back where the dryer had been pointing at but within 30 seconds it went back to normal. the defect is much harder to see when the screen in in dark mode so I didn’t see it until the next day when I went google something. I have had all apple devices since 2007 and this is my first time damaging something, and to do it so stupidly is such a bummer. I have an issue with my right hand that I’m getting surgery on soon so I use the hair dryer with my left hand so that’s probably a lot to do with why I didn’t realise where it was pointed as I’m right handed. I was also quoted €540 repair ...

KathyArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
I totally thought this thread was about image burn-in, like OLED displays are sometimes susceptible to. I never thought it would be about an external heat source actually burning the screen!

Sorry about your iPad, but props for subverting my expectations! ?
Yeah , that’s why I had to make the post, I could not find any post online that had done anything similar ?

KathyArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
iPad probably tried to warm up a little in these cold days, or tried to dry hers hair.

Jokes aside, the screen is ****ed. Only options it to replace it by the Apple/or Apple service partner.
In my country (Scandinavia) probably home insurance might cover something. (Depending how it happened)
Hmm home insurance is a good idea I’m in Ireland , I got quoted €550 repair but not from apple a local repair shop were saying the part is super expensive. I paid I think €780 for the iPad it was refurbished , so I damn sure am not paying that much to fix the screen. I would just buy another refurbished one but since Covid they seam to have an awful selection of refurbished products.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
If you get it repaired, make sure you use an Apple laminated screen.

You should be able to still get good money for it if you decide to sell it. Many parents are more likely to buy something like that for their kids, than pay full price for a new one.

KathyArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
Not sure if I'm missing any but it seems as though your options are to find a third party repair shop and inquire about an estimated cost to replace the display, pay Apple the out of warranty service fee (since damage was accidental) of € 541.30 (see https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ipad/repair/service ), buy a new ipad or live with the defect.
i called a couple and they seam to not want to bother with this iPad model. Apparently the repair is difficult but I had a friend with an iPad Pro 1st generation 12inch who got a repair for €120 , so I haven’t given up hope just yet.

KathyArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
If you get it repaired, make sure you use an Apple laminated screen.

You should be able to still get good money for it if you decide to sell it. Many parents are more likely to buy something like that for their kids, than pay full price for a new one.
Ya that’s what I was thinking surly this defect wouldn’t bother some people as much as it bothers me , it’s just such a great iPad.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
That’s what one of my 12.9s looked like, but that was because I took a heat gun to it to try to relaminate it when the screen unresponsiveness got me so frustrated it was do that, or toss it out a window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.