Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
i know its the display units but just letting you guys know that our iphone X’s is not immune to burning and is not better than samsung atleast i thought it was.i check couple iphone X display unit at my local bestbuy and i saw all of them has burning and what bothered me is that the samsungs note 8,s8,s8+ units doesnt have it and i believe it was there couple months before the X.

Attachments

• D0004E1A-615F-4B6A-9428-7AE8CCD2E12B.jpeg
    D0004E1A-615F-4B6A-9428-7AE8CCD2E12B.jpeg
    907.3 KB · Views: 2,162
  • 7F52A731-00ED-45AF-969A-2A9B128135EB.jpeg
    7F52A731-00ED-45AF-969A-2A9B128135EB.jpeg
    837.2 KB · Views: 751

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
i know its the display units but just letting you guys know that our iphone X’s is not immune to burning and is not better than samsung atleast i thought it was.i check couple iphone X display unit at my local bestbuy and i saw all of them has burning and what bothered me is that the samsungs note 8,s8,s8+ units doesnt have it and i believe it was there couple months before the X.
I would think this is common knowledge.. Actually it’s obvious to the point that unless you’re completely ignorant, you wouldn’t realize this is what happens under the conditions your describing. It happens faster on Samsung units too. What makes you think the Samsung units haven’t been on display for less time?

Reactions: Illumiiinati

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I think all AMOLED phones suffer from this to a certain extent. Just the nature of the beast. It's one of the reasons I prefer IPS LCD so I don't have to worry about burn in over time. The 8/8+ screens were nearly perfect IMO. Wish Apple would have stayed with them even longer :oops:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Samsung has placed more protections on their devices for burn in...remember those samsung units were there a couple months longer and had less burn in.....but samsung knows amoled better than any company out there.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
I would think this is common knowledge.. Actually it’s obvious to the point that unless you’re completely ignorant, you wouldn’t realize this is what happens under the conditions your describing. It happens faster on Samsung units too. What makes you think the Samsung units haven’t been on display for less time?
well i know for sure the 8 and 8+ was there couple months before the note 8 came as ive mention its my local bestbuy i go there alot.yeah but sometime my iphone X screen refused to dimmed even though i set it up 30seconds i think if im on and app and my gf call me and after we talked i notice that my iphone did not sleep and it was on the app id use before i answer the phone i think its because im pretty much using a bluetooth headset
[doublepost=1515961378][/doublepost]
Samsung has placed more protections on their devices for burn in...remember those samsung units were there a couple months longer and had less burn in.....but samsung knows amoled better than any company out there.
yes i agree

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You do have to realize those demo devices that you see in Best Buy are on between 14–16 hours a day and maxed at full brightness. Those are not real world experiences on how most will never experience burn in at that level with their iPhone X.

I have also observed other Galaxy devices that have had burn in as well for demo devices. It's Possible the Note 8/S8 you observed, might have been newer demo devices that were replaced.

Reactions: _Refurbished_

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Kind of expected given it's Apple's first generation OLED.

What's unexpected is Galaxy S8 was launched in April 2017. And I assume the demo units were placed there not long afterwards. That's pretty impressive.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
This is a major reason why I'm getting the 8Plus over the X.

Don't need to worry about burn-in ever.

Reactions: Hal~9000

MiBook84

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember not to leave my X setting for hours on the same screen.
Apple has a screensaver on iPhone demo units so the home screen is only there when someone has left it there - so just for a few minutes at a time, if even that.

I'm one of the guys who would be pretty happy if Apple released a black design theme, not that it would help here but in many situations and for battery efficiency too.

Have anyone noticed how Apple tries to overcome OLED burn in? I remember seeing a plist about it but haven't seen any macro video of a moving interface or so (yet at least).

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
You do have to realize those demo devices that you see in Best Buy are on between 14–16 hours a day and maxed at full brightness. Those are not real world experiences on how most will never experience burn in at that level with their iPhone X.

I have also observed other Galaxy devices that have had burn in as well for demo devices. It's Possible the Note 8/S8 you observed, might have been newer demo devices that were replaced.
yes i know thats why i said its a display unit.just a headsup for everyone that our X is susceptable of burn in so we make extra care of our beloved iphone X

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember not to leave my X setting for hours on the same screen.

Agree. This is always a concern with OLED, but the store computers are not the best test case for this particular problem. I'd say that marks around the Lightning port are in the same category. These phones are out there all day, every day, being used in ways that most people don't use them by people who don't own them. I think there's a lesson here, but it's a very narrow one for most owners.
[doublepost=1515973945][/doublepost]
yes i know thats why i said its a display unit.just a headsup for everyone that our X is susceptable of burn in so we make extra care of our beloved iphone X

But honestly, that's incredibly well known and well illustrated in the Android world What we don't know is how well Apple has been able to mitigate this problem. Your info shows that leaving screens running long term with a static display is a bad idea, but we sorta knew that anyway?

Reactions: gahig ulo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.