Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
Today was a hot day and I was working with my MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar on my lap (directly exposed to the sun) when I suddenly saw a thin line cracking the screen into two halves.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Nothing fell onto the screen, nothing touched it or scratched it; the MacBook was simply sitting on my lap. I attached some photos below. It's weird but the left-hand side of the screen is somewhat darker now.

Does this fall under the limited warranty offered by Apple? I don't have Apple Care. If it doesn't, how much would it cost me to repair it?

Attachments

• IMG_7576.JPG
    IMG_7576.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_7577.JPG
    IMG_7577.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 386

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Take it to an Apple Store and have them look at it. If they deny the repair under the warranty coverage, they will quote you a price for the repair. If you don't like what they say, take it to an Apple Authorized Service center and see what offer they will make. Then make your decision.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
If you are still under warranty, why wouldn’t Apple repair it for free?
I have not seen any warning from them about sun exposure and the usual temperature operating limits refer to the electronics, not the glass.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I seriously doubt the display cracked because of exposure to sun. How often does that happen to glass windows, for example? The best theory I can come up with is that there was an existing crack that only became visible in the bright sunlight, or an existing scratch/flaw that finally reached the breaking point because of excessive stress.

But it's all theory and guesswork. Apple is not likely to repair it for free, whether in or out of warranty, as broken glass is normally assumed to be accidental damage, not a manufacturing flaw.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
If you are still under warranty, why wouldn’t Apple repair it for free?
I have not seen any warning from them about sun exposure and the usual temperature operating limits refer to the electronics, not the glass.

There is almost always more to the story than is first told. Doubtful that mere exposure to the sun would cause an LCD panel to crack. Again, maybe I'm just suspicious, but first post comes with a tall tale...

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
What I am hearing is that the glass panel should not crack just with exposure to the sun.
I think we all agree with that, and I am also sure that Apple would agree with that.
Therefore, IF that is what happened, Apple should replace under warranty because, IF that is what happened, it would be very much the symptom of a manufacturing defect and that doesn’t seem particularly far fetched to me.

By the way, if there is no impact sign, nor any sign of bending, how could the OP have accidentally broken it?
I am sure I remember similar stories about iPad screens that got replaced under warranty.

Reactions: paulrberg

paulrberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
I seriously doubt the display cracked because of exposure to sun. How often does that happen to glass windows, for example?

If the sun didn't in and of itself break this, it certainly accelerated the process.

It's true that I carry my laptop in my backpack quite frequently. I do keep it in a sleeve, but even then, I don't think it's unlikely that sometime, somehow, the screen in the top-left corner might have pressured by "turbulences" caused by being cramped in a backpack for hours long.

In any case, what I did see and cannot forget is the screen cracking in half in real-time in front of my eyes, while the MacBook was sitting on my lap.

I'll got an authorised service and see what I can do about it. Cheers guys.

Reactions: Wando64

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
As others have stated, if you are within the 1 year warranty, Apple will look at it. They will look closely for any sign of damage that would show that abuse or neglect caused the crack (scratches, dents, chips). If there is zero physical damage, they might cover it. No way to know until it gets inspected. If not covered, they will give you an estimate to repair. If too costly for your tastes, your only other option would be to find the part and try yourself. There are some vendors that sell used parts, like beetstech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.