Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbcracken

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
I've got a 2021 M1 Pro 14". I have an odd issue that I am not finding any solution for on the interwebs. I have applied all updates and rebooted multiple times. I have also changed to different display presets with no change and am still using the Apple XDR preset. The problem is that my screen has extended left so the Apple icon in the upper left corner is no longer visible along with that screen. Below is a screen shot where the red area is approximately the area missing to the left of the screen now.

Any suggestions or adjustment ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike
PastedGraphic-1.png

• Sad
Reactions: appltech

mbcracken

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
This might better illustrate what part of the image I am not seeing but can move my mouse to the area.

Attachments

• IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 86

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I was thinking that maybe you have zoom on - System Settings / Accessibility / Zoom. But, if you had moved your mouse over there the image would have panned.

mbcracken

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
It appears it is actually a black bar that won't go away.
I was thinking that maybe you have zoom on - System Settings / Accessibility / Zoom. But, if you had moved your mouse over there the image would have panned.
Nope, I do not. Apple Support just walked me thru doing a fresh install of OS Ventura and that did nothing either.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Seems like an odd issue.

Was it always like this? If it wasn't try to think back to what you did or changed just before this started.

Otherwise are there any controls for the monitor itself you can access directly (not through MacOS but some buttons on the side of the monitor) maybe the screen isn't centered within itself and you can nudge it back over.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
As said above, I suspect monitor or TV connected. For TVs there are overscan and underscan controls, for monitors something similar sometimes. Depends a lot on what you have...
I would try different monitor with this MBP (or same monitor with different computer) to see, if it is reproduced - to identify, where the problem is. You could be blaming wrong device ;-)

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
That looks if anything like a segment of backlight led's not working, I'd definitely be thinking hardware fault of some form. The width of it looks pretty much like one mini led vertical strip to me.

If it were some form of overscan problem, then the whole menu would not be visible, that also looks like the actual laptops display judging by the bezels.

mbcracken

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
This is my MacBook Pro M1 screen. I am suspecting a hardware - LED problem as well. I have an appt on Monday at Apple Store for further exam. If one looks at the 2nd pic I posted above, there is no soft curve of the normal corner. I think that portion of the screen has an LED problem. I'll send an update post service appt.

Cheers,
Mike

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
And the problem persists in the Recovery Mode?
If yes, then something with the screen(

And your wallpaper is just marvelous, Skyrim surrounding

mbcracken

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Yup and did the full diagnostic via boot up too. It was still there.

Wall paper is from a day hike I did thru the Enchantments near Leavenworth WA. It is a real gem of the Cascades. We did it as a thru hike in one day and covered ~27 miles. The part that slowed us down the most was me and my DSLR. I think I snapped over 500 photos that day.

Cheers,
Mike

mbcracken

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Ie. Apple replaced It? So it was hardware?
Yup, hardware problem. My best guess is the LED strip had come loose or something. I have had no drops of the laptop so maybe jostled in my messenger bag? Unknown cause.

Looks like the "best" way to fix it is like shown in the iFixIt method here.

Apple did the repair as well and turn around time was only 3 days between drop-off and pickup from Apple store too. Cost was $750 plus tax. The iFixit website sells the screen/top assembly for $600. I am good with the costs considering Apple also gave me a new bottom cover and new lid position sensor too.

Cheers,
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.