Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA
I’m getting my new 15 Pro Max this week. I’m thinking of installing a screen protector for the first time on my phone. Are the protectors an Apple Store installs better than other protectors? Do I need to make an appointment for the Apple Store to install the protector?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Install it yourself, they're super easy and based on some of the phone cases Apple has sold in the past I doubt they are any better or worse than the competition. Here's a 4 pack tempered glass screen protector kit with an alignment tool. All for the low asking price of $5.99 on Amazon.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
I just get Apple to do it, they are pricey though. Apple keep putting them on until they achieve perfection, and you get a warranty for the screen protector for the life of the phone.

TheSilverMeteor

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2023
I buy my screen protectors 100% at the Apple Store. These protectors can be a pain to put on at times, and the Apple store has a machine they use to put them on perfectly.
Yes, they can be more costly, but it is worth it for the machine to put them on perfectly.
And no, no appointment is necessary. I never go on weekends, I wait until the middle of the week to go. Less crowded.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Install it yourself, they're super easy and based on some of the phone cases Apple has sold in the past I doubt they are any better or worse than the competition. Here's a 4 pack tempered glass screen protector kit with an alignment tool. All for the low asking price of $5.99 on Amazon.

This is the way.

It’s like buying a can of Coke from a hotel restaurant or from the grocery store. Same product, different price. Your choice.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I always buy the Belkin screen protectors from Apple Store with in-store installation whenever possible. It’s an absolute no-brainer.

Yes, I can get a proper pair from Amazon for 15-20$ (I prefer amFilm OneTouch vs Spigen EZ FIT) and they are equal in terms of quality. These good ones also come inside a proper plastic frame - not the crappy drop-in ones, but the frame with the protector already inside, that you clip on top of the phone for perfect alignment. On paper those should provide decent installation results, but no matter how I try, there always will be 1 or 2 pesky dust particles in a form of tiny hairs. And I usually go over 2-4 protectors before I even reach that. It wastes 10-30 minutes of my life, and makes me want to throw my phone out of a window by the end of it. I truly, truly hate the process! I hate the bathroom steam-up, I hate the dust stickers, I hate the dust blowers, I hate examining the screen and finding a tiny black dust hair after thinking that you finally succeeded.

With Apple Store version you get a protector that is compatible with the Belkin installation machine, which has an anti-dust brush that swipes the screen as you pull away the plastic film. This makes it possible to achieve 100% dust free installation.

It’s still possible to get a small dust spec trapped, because a lot of the store employees aren’t careful enough, don’t know how to do it properly at all, or simply don’t give a shlt. But they’ll re-attempt the installation for free with a new protector within reason if you’re not happy. Some will try to brush you off with the typical “we don’t reinstall unless bubbles appear or it starts to detach”, but that’s BS. These glass protectors never bubble or detach unless the dust spec is truly massive.

So basically it’s the only viable way to achieve 100% dust free installation, and it saves me a lot of nerves. But I want perfect installation and dust particles annoy me. If you don’t care or live in a class 10 cleanroom, get the ones from Amazon and save a few bucks.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

I like this brand, I used their camera lens protectors.

Does the front protector cover almost the glass? I’m using the Belkin now but there’s a noticeable gap the is a magnet for dust.

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 176

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I like this brand, I used their camera lens protectors.

Does the front protector cover almost the glass? I’m using the Belkin now but there’s a noticeable gap the is a magnet for dust.
I can't say as I don't own a 15 PM. I was just doing a quick search on Amazon for the OP. Regarding dirt accumulating, I think the "new style" screen protectors with the black border edges helps prevent that. All of my phones have those screen protectors and I don't see dirt accumulating as the black border reaches the edge of the display and tapers down for a smooth look and blends in with the screen so at first appearance, it doesn't look like you are using a screen protector.

Viewing the product photos, I believe those screen protectors have the black borders on the edge.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I used to have Apple apply a screen protector at the store however with my 12 Mini and 13, I have just used the Spigen EZ fit tempered glass screen protector which is much cheaper and just as good.

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
I buy my screen protectors 100% at the Apple Store. These protectors can be a pain to put on at times, and the Apple store has a machine they use to put them on perfectly.
Yes, they can be more costly, but it is worth it for the machine to put them on perfectly.
And no, no appointment is necessary. I never go on weekends, I wait until the middle of the week to go. Less crowded.
While I have never found them difficult to install, plus many are coming with a frame that goes over the phone. Plus you get 2-3 and camera covers for less than $15.

Last edited:
Reactions: James.K.Polk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.