Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RustyShackleford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
I'm using a mid-2010 Mac Mini running ElCapitan as a media server. I control it from my laptop, 2017 Macbook Air running Monterey, using screen-sharing (from a Finder window using Go -> Connect to Server). It usually works fine, but occasionally, after some days have passed, it stops working. If I go into the Mini (using a USB Bluetooth keyboard and the TV as monitor), go to SystemPrefs->Sharing, un-check "screen sharing" and then immediately check it again, it starts working again - typically for many days.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I regularly screen sharing on my 2018 Mini with Catalina to connect to a 2012 Mini running Catalina and a 2014 Mini with Mojave. No problems. This has worked fine for years on several other Macs, going back to Mountain Lion. Probably not significant, but I don't connect the way you describe. In column view in the Finder, I click on the remote machine in the sidebar under "Locations". That reveals a little window with a button that says "Share Screen..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.