Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidamo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2017
I has some service work done by my 2013 retina MBP a few months ago, just prior to its warranty expiring.

The work comes with a 90 additional warranty is which is also now expired.

Shortly after work, the mac started to be unstable - hanging and rebooting frequently. I put this down to software but a reinstall a while ago did not help.

After reading advice online, I opened the case to see if anything inside was obivously amiss.

I found that the SSD had come partially lose from its connector. The screw for it was loose, and could not be refitted (it just spins in the slot). So it seems either the screw is incorrect one or it or the screw hole are stripped. I am sure that this was caused during the previous work and not by my attempt to refit it (I am very careful i how I do this).

I should also note that the case screws were also loose and the mac has been taken back once to have this sorted (though a record was not made of this).

FWIW, reseating the SDD (although still unscrewed) seems to have resolved the stability issues though it's early days..

Any thoughts on getting a positive outcome from this from apple without them suspecting I am at fault for this? I am intending to just say exactly what I have written here. AFAIK, it is not a warranty-invalidating action to open the case on these but it would be good to have confirmation on that

Jon

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Opening the case did not void the warranty on my mid 2013 mpb 13 when I opened it to upgrade the ram and install a ssd; however, it may come down to a situation of your word against that of the apple tech. Hopefully, apple will take responsibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: sidamo

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Who did the work on your 2013 rMBP? Was it done at an Apple Store or at an authorized Apple repair service? What you described doesn't sound like the work was done at an Apple Store. I suppose even an Apple Store can mess up a repair job but it would be unusual for that to happen.

Also, you're going to have a hard time proving it was Apple's fault especially since you said that you've been inside the machine doing a refit. I doubt Apple will make it good, but it won't hurt to try. :rolleyes:

sidamo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2017
Who did the work on your 2013 rMBP? Was it done at an Apple Store or at an authorized Apple repair service? What you described doesn't sound like the work was done at an Apple Store. I suppose even an Apple Store can mess up a repair job but it would be unusual for that to happen.

Also, you're going to have a hard time proving it was Apple's fault especially since you said that you've been inside the machine doing a refit. I doubt Apple will make it good, but it won't hurt to try. :rolleyes:

It was an apple store. I was not refitting anything, just seeing if anything was obviously wrong and that's what I found :)

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I would take it back and speak to the manager about the poor repair job you had done at their store. Be polite but also be persistent. The worst that can happen is they refuse to make it good, however, it may turn out in your favor. I've heard of other customers who ran into problems with repairs at an Apple store getting a new machine for their troubles. Go for it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.