Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
so here is the rundown, when i got my dp 1 ghz QS, it booted and ran fine. then i unplugged it and let it sit for months on end because i got my mdd up and running. now that i want to see if the QS fires up again, i get nothing. i tore apart the psu to see a scorch mark on the housing wall so i figured it was a dead psu. ordered a new one and when i got it and put it in, same issue, no boot. so i waited and found a new lobo, did the swap, same issue, no boot.

so now i have 2 psu's, 2 lobo's and 3 cpu's.

symtoms are as follows...
press power button, front led lights up while pressing, red led on lobo blips and goes out. no power no nothing. tried new pram battery with the exact same result. pressed cuda button i don't know how many times and still same result. nothing!!

don't ask if i can boot into OF or try keyboard pram reset since the system won't boot!!!

now here is the kicker...
when i have the parts out of the case IE psu and lobo to see which one does work, the machine starts up. Whoa, wait what?!?!

ok, so tried the other lobo and now this new result, it boots! so now when i interchange parts and psu's all out of the case, it all boots.
but when i find a combination that works and put it all back in the case, i'm stuck back at square one, no boot. power led lit when pressed and red led blips and system does not fire up.

so i'm asking people out there in macrumors land or maybe anywhere else, what the hell is going on with my system?

Reactions: lepidotós

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
thats what i thought too, but i checked all the screws and mounting points and everything is proper and tight

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
well, i found out the issue, it's not the psu, the lobo or cpu or ram or anything else for that matter...

it was a F@#$%&G hard drive!!!!

here i am stepping backwards, taking out screws and cards and whatnot and it finally came to the hard drive and it booted. so i put the psu back in the QS case as to find a short that eyoungren was talking about. low and behold it was a whole drive that was the problem, not the molex since i tried a different drive on that exact molex and it still booted. so i tried the failed drive on different molex plugs and it gave me the dead mac syndrome. so now i have a QS that boots and a dead 160gb seagate drive i can salvage for fridge magnets

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
yup, now i have an extra QS rev 1 board, a DA board (got it because i could), my original QS psu, a DA 733 cpu, and a QS 733 cpu. Now to figure out what to do with it, since it has a geforce 2 in it, the dp 1 ghz cpu, 1.5 gb ram, 250 gb hdd, dvd-r

Reactions: eyoungren

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
I'm glad you were able to figure it out. So the hard drive was shorting the power supply? It might just have a bad cap.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I'm glad you were able to figure it out. So the hard drive was shorting the power supply? It might just have a bad cap.
the hard drive or the psu? as for the hard drive, it's torn apart for it's "fridge magnets"

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I've never heard of a HDD stopping a machine from starting before but it's nice to know that Seagate somehow managed to trump the legendary IBM Deathstars.

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
well, i found out the issue, it's not the psu, the lobo or cpu or ram or anything else for that matter...

it was a F@#$%&G hard drive!!!!

here i am stepping backwards, taking out screws and cards and whatnot and it finally came to the hard drive and it booted. so i put the psu back in the QS case as to find a short that eyoungren was talking about. low and behold it was a whole drive that was the problem, not the molex since i tried a different drive on that exact molex and it still booted. so i tried the failed drive on different molex plugs and it gave me the dead mac syndrome. so now i have a QS that boots and a dead 160gb seagate drive i can salvage for fridge magnets
lol that happened to me once with my B&W G3, when I first saved it from becoming e-waste. It was making a loud solid beeping noise on boot, so I started looking up the beep codes, swapping out the RAM, taking out PCI cards, taking out the PRAM battery...

I was close to giving up on the machine until I unplugged the hard drive as a last-ditch effort, and sure enough that drive had happen to fail in such a way that it made a loud solid tone when it powered up. With a simple drive swap it booted perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.