Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
I haven't seen any threads dedicated to the new scribble feature, so I figured I'd start one!

Personally, I think it's great! I was definitely skeptical at first, but once I started using it, it's already becoming a feature of regular use.

What do you guys think?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Yeah, it's an easy and fun way to quickly reply to a text. Works really well. Kind of reminds me of my old Palm Pilot. :p

Reactions: FrisbeeK9

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
My minor complaint is: I wear the watch on my left arm and I'm left handed so writing with Scribble is a learning curve for me. I love it just harder for me.

Amenic

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Italy
Scribble is available only for text message (iMessage)??? Can we use it with Telegram / WhatsApp / emails ??

Thanks.

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I am very happy with it. I use when I don't have to:) I find it is accurate and fun to use!

trnjackie23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Scribble is amazing, I've been annoyed with how I have to pull my phone out if I want to reply (dictation is eh) but now I can scribble out a couple sentences easily and fast.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
My minor complaint is: I wear the watch on my left arm and I'm left handed so writing with Scribble is a learning curve for me. I love it just harder for me.

So your complaint is not being able to write with your right hand?

i'm the same. left handed and the watch is on my left wrist and my 3yr old niece writes better with her opposing hand. it's getting better but a little adjusting to "scribble" correctly.

Daki

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Ok. Just tested with an email reply. It's pretty cool. Cursive letters still have a purpose! (Edit: left handed scribbles with right hand watch...).

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

i'm the same. left handed and the watch is on my left wrist and my 3yr old niece writes better with her opposing hand. it's getting better but a little adjusting to "scribble" correctly.

Interesting, generally people - in my experience personally, family, friends, and around quite a few folks who wear watches - wear them on their non-dominant hand. i.e., I wear mine on my left, like my wife (we're both right handed), and a couple of left handed folks I've been around, wear there's on their right arm.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Interesting, generally people - in my experience personally, family, friends, and around quite a few folks who wear watches - wear them on their non-dominant hand. i.e., I wear mine on my left, like my wife (we're both right handed), and a couple of left handed folks I've been around, wear there's on their right arm.

yeah i think i started off wearing a watch on the wrong hand. not sure why i wore it on my writing hand?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
yeah i think i started off wearing a watch on the wrong hand. not sure why i wore it on my writing hand?

Probably saw more folks wearing them on their left (right handedness being more common). My Dad was a lefty, and he always talked about growing up and people trying to get him to use right handed this-and-that (like shooting a rifle right handed). To be honest, I don't even remember what arm he wore his watch on ... just a second.

Well how about that, he wore it on his left arm :)
[doublepost=1473891120][/doublepost]
Argh, I love it! One of the best features on the Apple Watch.

My wife used it before me! I was ready to show her and she said, "Well yeah, that's how I responded to you when I was at the gym".

:D

TasheRAWR

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
London, United Kingdom
Left handed user here too wearing my watch on my left hand! :D Luckily for me I'm kinda used to using my right hand to write and do a variety of other stuff so it's actually feels quite natural but I'm sure for those who aren't so used to it, with time it will be completely normal :)

I love scribble as no longer need to pull my phone out to answer a quick text that didn't have a suitable quick reply response.

I do wonder like another user mentioned, does scribble work for WhatsApp?

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
What I love is that I don't have to wait for the letterforms to complete their animations. I can draw letters as fast as I can.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Do most left handers wear the watch on their left wrist? I'm left handed and use the watch on the right wrist. Also, I've done the Scribbles a few times now and really like it. I only feel comfortable scribbling a quick response though. Anything longer than a sentence and to the phone or voice dictation, I go.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, it's an easy and fun way to quickly reply to a text. Works really well. Kind of reminds me of my old Palm Pilot. :p

That's exactly what I thought! I was hoping that it would work with Palm OS Graffiti, but so far that does not seem to be the case (at least not for most characters). Old habits die hard, and those Graffiti characters were sure fast to draw. Even though it has been something like eight years since I switched from my last of many Palm OS devices to the iPhone 3G, Graffiti script is still etched into my brain somehow. I'm sure I will adjust... Scribble is really handy when it comes to sending a text reply. I hope they make it available for other apps.

Sean

Reactions: rishiomedia

rishiomedia

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
That's exactly what I thought! I was hoping that it would work with Palm OS Graffiti, but so far that does not seem to be the case (at least not for most characters). Old habits die hard, and those Graffiti characters were sure fast to draw. Even though it has been something like eight years since I switched from my last of many Palm OS devices to the iPhone 3G, Graffiti script is still etched into my brain somehow. I'm sure I will adjust... Scribble is really handy when it comes to sending a text reply. I hope they make it available for other apps.

Sean

I have the same problem. I still want to write like I did in Graffiti. I got really fast with Graffiti: 30-40 wpm at the time.

I still think it aould be cool if we could enter wifi passwords with Scribble.

Reactions: sean000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.