Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sailingdarter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Greetings Classic Mac Hive Mind,

I recently purchased a SCSI2SD V6 board and I also got the following SD card for it

SanDisk 256GB Ultra SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - 100MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, SD Card - SDSDUNR-256G-GN6IN

I was able to get the board updated to the lasted firmware and I got the card formatted with 2 HFS+ volumes (each 128GB). I am testing the card on a PowerMac 8600/350 (350 Mhz Mach V 604ev) on its SCSI 2 Bus. I cloned the main boot volume to one of the partitions and I was able to boot from it. But when I ran a disk benchmarking tool on it I was a little disappointed with the performance. I know not to expect SSD performance but I was expecting it to be faster than the mechanical hard drives from the late 1990s. At least that is what I was led to believe from this video The only tool that I had (on hand) to do a benchmark was Norton System Info. And it clocks the SD card at around the performance of a 68040 PowerBook HDD performance. Which is worse than the current SCSI HD that I am using with this machine.
Below are the benchmark results for Disk I/O
scsi2sd_benchmarks8600.PNG

And here are the settings that I have configured for the board.
SCSI2SDV6_Settings.png

SCSI2SDV6_Settings2.png

SCSI2SDV6_Settings3.png

Any idea of what I may be doing wrong or mis-configuring? I have seem demonstrations of much better performance so I am sure it is something that I am doing.

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. Also I forgot to mention. The PowerMac 8600/350 is running Mac OS 9.1 and it has 320 MB of RAM

Cheers

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Read under Specs:

Max. Performance is 10 MB/s under good conditions.

This adapter is more interesting for 68K or Nubus Macs. For a PCI Mac a PCI-IDE-Controller with SATA to ATA adapter is best option.

Reactions: Amethyst1

sailingdarter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Oh I have no doubt that I would get better performance from an IDE card. However, I would have expected the SCSI2SD to perform better than the real SCSI drive that it is replacing. Which is a 6GB Quantum SCSI drive. My hope was to simply to better the Quantum drives performance. Additionally I figured that an SD card would have no problem saturating a 10MB SCSI Bus.

As for checking which bus it is using. I have not verified that yet but I will check.

Right now though I am only getting slightly less than 1MB per second throughput. If this were a Quadra or a NuBus PPC Mac I would be okay with that but I would think that a late Gen 604ev could do better. Especially with SCSI-2

None the less I do appreciate your input. Thanks very much :)

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
The upper port is a Fast-SCSI port who is limited to ~10 MB/s. You can get much faster SCSI but only with a PCI Cards like a Ultra (20 MB/s) or Ultra-WIDE-SCSI Card (40 MB/s) for example.

With an IDE drive you can get arround 25 MB/s limited to the architecture.

Last edited:

sailingdarter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Okay, for benchmarking sake I put back the original Quantum Fireball drive and ran the same benchmark and I got the following result.

FireballDriveBenchmark.PNG

So even if at the WORST case scenario the SCSI 2 SD were to match this result, I would be okay with that. But since it is benchmarking at 1/5th the speed, that is making me think that I am mis-configuring something. Although I have yet to open up the machine to physically check the busses, I did check in System Profiler and I noticed the following.

FireballDriveSystemProfiler.PNG

The drive is sharing the same bus as the Optical Drive and the internal Zip. So I am not sure if SCSI Bus 0 is the internal bus or external bus but it was physically on the same ribbon chain as the aforementioned devices.

I will open the machine tomorrow and check, but I am calling it a night for now.

Once again thanks :)

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Okay, for benchmarking sake I put back the original Quantum Fireball drive and ran the same benchmark and I got the following result.

View attachment 1732587

So even if at the WORST case scenario the SCSI 2 SD were to match this result, I would be okay with that. But since it is benchmarking at 1/5th the speed, that is making me think that I am mis-configuring something. Although I have yet to open up the machine to physically check the busses, I did check in System Profiler and I noticed the following.

View attachment 1732588

The drive is sharing the same bus as the Optical Drive and the internal Zip. So I am not sure if SCSI Bus 0 is the internal bus or external bus but it was physically on the same ribbon chain as the aforementioned devices.

I will open the machine tomorrow and check, but I am calling it a night for now.

Once again thanks :)

You can add up to 7 Drive to a FAST SCSI cable. All drives are workig with full speed. SCSI is a bit complicated to configure if you don't have the basics.

Every drive must have a unique ID and both sides of the cable must be terminated (nomally the controller is self terminating, so you need to terminate the last drive only)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.